Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #91
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post

Hmmm... I have no idea what you're talking about. Where are the bookmarks and how are they used? I'm using a wifi device with 1.7.4. The only software I'm using in combination with the kobo is Calibre 0.7.34
Might want to check out the User Guide on your kobo. Pretty sure it describes how bookmarks work - it's all automatic. Do your books not re-open where you last left off? You can read on your kobo, do a sync, and then continue reading on your iPhone, right where you left off.
Multiple bookmarks would be preferable. A single bookmark is only good if you are only reading for entertainment (not studying, reviewing, etc).

Which leads me back to "Go to page" and annotations. I'd rather do a painful type in rather than page through a whole book/document.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #92
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
As for my caching idea, it was stated that chapters are cached and therefore, page turns are optimal. If chapters are cached, how would that optimize page turns? Since pages are a subset of any given chapter, some scan would be required in order to locate correct page (within the cache). Obviously, this routine would only increase the lag. Perhaps it would be better to slim down the cache to only the previous and next page in order to eliminate any need to scan or locate. The fetching should take place only after the desired page is loaded obviously.
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #93
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
As for Go To Page - I'd suggest a similar interface as the setting the clock, where we can scroll one digit at a time, up to 9999 (or maybe 99999, why not). Would be pretty easy to use.
The Kobo does not have a keyboard, so I would suggest a Go to Page page should be set up to look like a keypad with an enter button. Thus, it would take less work with the d-pad than scrolling one page at a time would.
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 AM   #94
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
The Kobo does not have a keyboard, so I would suggest a Go to Page page should be set up to look like a keypad with an enter button. Thus, it would take less work with the d-pad than scrolling one page at a time would.
Hmm, great idea!
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #95
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Hmm, great idea!
I concur - great idea!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #96
GMFuller
Connoisseur
GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMFuller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yes, it's an excellent idea.

Backspace/clear button(s) would probably be needed as well.
GMFuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #97
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
This probably isn't going to a problem for most people but it'd be nice to have a ` character on the keyboard for entering the WiFi password, rather frustrating when it appears twice in my 64 random character password :-/
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #98
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I would like a dictionary that you could search for any word on not just whats on your page (Almost useless as I don't read a lot of books from Kobo (mostly library))

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-29-2011 at 08:27 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #99
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
I would like a searchable dictionary, and have the dictionary on library books too,
Good Oxford paperbook dictionary is not enough?
For the second part, I assume it should take some tweak for the
way dict works. Imagine it all as some kind of xml. So, technically,
it should work.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM   #100
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to see the following added to a future update:

1. The ability to mark a book as 'read' without having to go through the entire last chapter of a book to mark it 'read'. This is particularly useful when a Kobo update, for whatever reason, forgets all the books you've read and users have to go back and turn page-by-page to mark them as 'read' again.

2. The ability to go to a specific page. This has been long-requested and should have been implemented in the first update.

3. The ability to have multiple bookmarks in a book and view them as you would a table of contents.

Kobo employees: any announcements on a future update?
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #101
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

In regards to the go-to-a-specific-page feature, this is a fairly simple update to make and it would do wonders for Kobo. In the future I could imagine students (or schools) purchasing Kobo devices and having students read textbooks on the device. It is pointless, though, if you cannot go to a specific page of a textbook as is the case now. I am surprised this has not yet been implemented.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #102
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Does anyone else agree that a slimmed down "Books" display is needed? I'm talking about a single line with no padding, line separators, or thumbnails. A single line displaying the book title. On a 6" screen, we'd probably be able to see 20 - 30 books instead of 5 or 6.

Also, I'd think this could be designed, tested, and released in 2 hours.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:17 AM   #103
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Are we talking about menu where you choose what book to read?
Eons ago I was sure it lets you see it as a text only or with covers.
I might be wrong.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #104
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Does anyone else agree that a slimmed down "Books" display is needed? I'm talking about a single line with no padding, line separators, or thumbnails. A single line displaying the book title. On a 6" screen, we'd probably be able to see 20 - 30 books instead of 5 or 6.
Yes that is a very good idea. I would like to see author's name also, or as much as fits on the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Also, I'd think this could be designed, tested, and released in 2 hours.
I work in software development. A 1-line change in our software is still a 2-day regression test, 1-day deployment effort. And we only have a single client. There must be a lot more overhead in releasing an off-the-shelf product.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #105
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Are we talking about menu where you choose what book to read?
Eons ago I was sure it lets you see it as a text only or with covers.
I might be wrong.

You may want to read my follow-ups where I explained how insignificant that change really is. The entire purpose of a configuration option like this is to maximize screen real estate. Even with book covers turned off, virtually no space is regained due to the formatting made up of lines, spaces, and the need to make a book's title and author distinct.

What's needed is a minimalist approach. We don't need a line above and below to serve as an outline because a system of left and right outliners is more efficient. For example:

The book I'm reading is bold
[I may decide to read this book]
Here is book #3
This is book #4

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo