Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #61
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
What can you say me about worse contrast with light off in the glowlight model than in the standard model?

Have it solved with the new models?

Thanks for your attention.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #62
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
What can you say me about worse contrast with light off in the glowlight model than in the standard model?

Have it solved with the new models?

Thanks for your attention.
It will never be fixed, it is a physics problem - any layer on top of the screen will bounce light off and create a softer image. It is very minor though, I would suggest you compare to a non-glow yourself and decide.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #63
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It will never be fixed, it is a physics problem - any layer on top of the screen will bounce light off and create a softer image. It is very minor though, I would suggest you compare to a non-glow yourself and decide.
Never is a rather strong word, though I agree that it seems unlikely, at least any time soon.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #64
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Thanks!

But in Europe is impossible make that comparative
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #65
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Never is a rather strong word, though I agree that it seems unlikely, at least any time soon.
All right, it will be fixed when we learn to circumvent the laws of physics
Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The only Nook Glow I've ever held in my hands was in a Barnes & Noble brick & mortar store and it had a very noticeably glowing hotspot near the center of the screen. That wasn't exactly a major selling point, but hardly a surprise, as I've heard more than one person here complain about hotspots on theirs. In a couple of weeks, Amazon is having a press conference where many people are expecting to see a front-lit Kindle revealed. If the experience so many have described with their Nook Glows have taught me anything, it is not to be among the early adapters of glow screen technology. If a front-lit Kindle is introduced, I'll wait until I see if they've solved the hotspot problems that affect so many of the Nook Glows.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #67
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Just purchased a nook glow yesterday – i noticed one little dot (similar to a dead pixel) off in the margin on the right side. Its barely noticeable and easily forgotten, but its there.

The screen is also very smooth and contrast similar to my nst.

Love the glow feature and its come in handy quite a bit so far.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #68
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
All right, it will be fixed when we learn to circumvent the laws of physics
Or a completely different approach to the problem. Can you imagine, assuming that you're old enough, somebody coming to you thirty years ago and telling you that you could buy a 55" TV that was only 4 mm thick, had stunningly vivid colors, amazingly high resolution, no problems with tracking, etc, etc, etc? Heck, almost nobody even had a remote control back then and a 27" console TV was considered huge [screen wise]!

Yet, that very TV exists now... made by Samsung.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #69
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Or a completely different approach to the problem. Can you imagine, assuming that you're old enough, somebody coming to you thirty years ago and telling you that you could buy a 55" TV that was only 4 mm thick, had stunningly vivid colors, amazingly high resolution, no problems with tracking, etc, etc, etc? Heck, almost nobody even had a remote control back then and a 27" console TV was considered huge [screen wise]!

Yet, that very TV exists now... made by Samsung.
There were no physics laws preventing people from making such TV 30 years ago, the technology simply was not there. What we are talking about here is different, there is a physics problem that we can't work around. It's akin to exceeding the speed of light; can't be done with our current understanding of the laws of physics. Any medium transition will cause some light to bounce back and this will distort the image. Sorry if I burst some people's bubble.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #70
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Ever heard of multicoated lenses and filters for cameras? There are coatings that transmit nearly 100% of incoming light (minimal difference between F-stop and T-stop values), albeit expensive. There are also constructions with negative (!) index of refraction. I do not believe the issue is physics, more like form factor and budget.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #71
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Probably budget more than anything. There aren't many of us who would be willing to spend $400 on a simple e-reader.

At any rate, I looked at a GlowLight the other day and thought the screen was quite acceptable even with the slightly reduced contrast. I also thought the lighting was beautiful, except for the unsightly "hole" in the lower right corner.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #72
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Ever heard of multicoated lenses and filters for cameras? There are coatings that transmit nearly 100% of incoming light (minimal difference between F-stop and T-stop values), albeit expensive. There are also constructions with negative (!) index of refraction. I do not believe the issue is physics, more like form factor and budget.
It's been a long time since I was studying this stuff, but at the time I learnt that any change of medium would cause light (or any electromagnetic wave, for that matter) to partially bounce, and partially go through. You can massage the numbers to minimize the bounce, using gradients or fancy materials, but my understanding is that you can't have a 100% transmission on the boundary. In physics, with the exception of superconductors, there is no "100% this way" or "100% that way".

Anyway, back on topic, I got myself a Nook Glow and really enjoying it, even with the physics limitations
Old 09-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #73
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It's been a long time since I was studying this stuff, but at the time I learnt that any change of medium would cause light (or any electromagnetic wave, for that matter) to partially bounce, and partially go through. You can massage the numbers to minimize the bounce, using gradients or fancy materials, but my understanding is that you can't have a 100% transmission on the boundary. In physics, with the exception of superconductors, there is no "100% this way" or "100% that way".

Anyway, back on topic, I got myself a Nook Glow and really enjoying it, even with the physics limitations
Yeah, that UV coating on my glasses is a killer, not to mention the plastic lenses themselves. I'm lucky any light gets through at all.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #74
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
If I take my NWGL outside the house, it goes in its cover.

More fragile or not, I am not going back to a non-lit screen. I'm reading much more with the NWGL than I did before, and that's what is important to me.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #75
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
If I take my NWGL outside the house, it goes in its cover.

More fragile or not, I am not going back to a non-lit screen. I'm reading much more with the NWGL than I did before, and that's what is important to me.
Agreed, it's a wonderful device. Even in situations where the light is not that bad, turning on the glow light makes a significant difference.
Closed Thread