Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #121
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like the best one of the bunch so far.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #122
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Do you have to read the Bible first?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Nah! Just watch Jesus Christ Superstar and you'll be fine.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-24-2010 at 02:28 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #124
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm sure it would be more humorous if you did, of course there's some real thigh-slappers in The Book as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #125
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My nomination is... Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
I just started that yesterday! It is a riot. I second this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Third it. I have it and have not read it yet.
I would have gladly given my last remaining vote to that, but you folks beat me to the punch. It sounds interesting. I'm always interested in learning more about what Jesus' life was like while he was still living at home with his parents, Mary & Joseph Christ.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #126
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I would have gladly given my last remaining vote to that, but you folks beat me to the punch. It sounds interesting. I'm always interested in learning more about what Jesus' life was like while he was still living at home with his parents, Mary & Joseph Christ.

And who better than Biff to tell that story!

I actually suspect this book is one of the Gnostic Gospels so should be required reading.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #127
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

The thing that is interesting though is they don't have a Kindle edition....in fact I'm not even finding it as an ebook edition anywhere.
So sorry - I thought I had checked it out. Went back and discovered my mistake - darn google search. After searching I couldn't find it as eBook either so I have to withdraw my nomination.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #128
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I just started that yesterday! It is a riot. I second this.
It's a good book - funny and easy to read. I have read it a few times (diff languages). Might be time to pull it out again.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #129
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Rita Mae Brown is lesbian, but most of her books (as far as I'm aware), do not have 'gay' themes. It's no risk reading this.
Rubyfruit Jungle, anyone....
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #130
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Rubyfruit Jungle, anyone....
EA said 'most' of her books. And the book I suggested (and by now withdrew as it's not available as eBook) has homosexual characters. I don't consider it offensive or over the top. I don't see much of a difference between a book describing heterosexual or homosexual encounters - either flavour can grate on my nerves, depending how it's handled. The 'Runnymede' series is foremost a description of the lifes of the main characters in a small town.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #131
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
EA said 'most' of her books. And the book I suggested (and by now withdrew as it's not available as eBook) has homosexual characters. I don't consider it offensive or over the top. I don't see much of a difference between a book describing heterosexual or homosexual encounters - either flavour can grate on my nerves, depending how it's handled. The 'Runnymede' series is foremost a description of the lifes of the main characters in a small town.
Exactly.

My reaction was due to the strong negative bias expressed by the poster.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #132
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Okay, I think I've been misunderstood a bit. The reason I asked the question was because Amazon had it listed in the "Gay and Lesbian" category. That implied to me that it might be a book that was written for that community, as opposed to a mainstream book that might have gay characters.

Despite the trouble that kennyc is trying to stir up by assuming he knows what I'm thinking, I do not have a "strong negative bias". I simply didn't want to read a book that was written solely for the gay community. Because of Amazon's characterization, I was thinking it might be a gay erotic book.

After reading about Rubyfruit on Wikipedia, I see I was justified in my caution. Does anybody know what "Rubyfruit Jungle" refers to? (it's on Wikipedia).

Last edited by Zipr; 03-24-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #133
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Exactly.

My reaction was due to the strong negative bias expressed by the poster.
Well, it's sad that one book defines an author for some people. Talk about open minds and that reading is alleged to broaden the horizon
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #134
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Too bad it's not available as an ebook. It sounds like it's a lot of fun to read. Interestingly; study guides to the book are available in ebook form.

Go figure!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #135
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Okay, I think I've been misunderstood a bit. The reason I asked the question was because Amazon had it listed in the "Gay and Lesbian" category. That implied to me that it might be a book that was written for that community, as opposed to a mainstream book that might have gay characters.

Despite the trouble that kennyc is trying to stir up by assuming he knows what I'm thinking, I do not have a "strong negative bias". I simply didn't want to read a book that was written solely for the gay community. Because of Amazon's characterization, I was thinking it might be a gay erotic book.
While I think Kenny did jump your throat a bit, I also think you jumped to conclusions rather quickly. For one thing, how would you define a book written for the 'gay community'? I don't even think it makes sense to talk about a gay community in the sense that you could aim books at them. Secondly, all that m/m romance you see are (almost always) written by straight women for straight women - are they the 'gay community'?. Finally, Amazon's defintion og 'gay and lesbian' is far wider than 'gay romance' as you seem to think. To be quite honest I thought it was an odd question.

Quote:
After reading about Rubyfruit on Wikipedia, I see I was justified in my caution. Does anybody know what "Rubyfruit Jungle" refers to? (it's on Wikipedia).
I'm sorry, but now I'm beginning to feel you are biased as well. Rubyfruit Jungle is mainstream/drama/bildungsroman, not genre romance/erotic fiction. And if you've read the first two lines of the Wikipedia article, you'd know what title refers to.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote