Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by del2608 View Post
I really like these but can anyone recommend a light that can be used with these covers?
M-Edge e-Luminator2 Booklight for Amazon Kindle. I use it with my Oberon covers and love it.

Plenty bright, and uses only 1 AAA battery, so it's very light as well.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-13-2010 at 07:03 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #47
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
any of the clip on lights will work with the Oberon covers. none of them useyour Kindle for power, but you really don't want that anyway
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #48
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
There's also a new Mighty Bright Beam Led clip-on light coming, which folds up next to the side of the Kindle. Not yet for order on Amazon. I think it is slightly different from WT Sharpe's?
http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-.../dp/B0040OPVGU
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #49
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
There's also a new Mighty Bright Beam Led clip-on light coming, which folds up next to the side of the Kindle. Not yet for order on Amazon. I think it is slightly different from WT Sharpe's?
http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-.../dp/B0040OPVGU
Look good, but the Kindle shown in that photo is a K2. Since the sides are narrower on a K3, the clip would probably slide into screen territory.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-13-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #50
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by del2608 View Post
I really like these but can anyone recommend a light that can be used with these covers?
I had a black Kandle booklight for my Sony. I like the light weight and it gives pretty good light. I used the Oberon daVinci cover with the Sony. I folded the Oberon cover back to make it easier to hold and that Kandle light fitted fine. It works even better with the Kindle 3 and the colors go well together. What I don't like is that it uses CR 2032 batteries that aren't as easy to find. I got 25 of them for $8 USD from Amazon which is a little more expensive than the price of ordinary alkaline batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Kandle-WideLip...4408220&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kandle.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	58145  
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #51
Will2010
Will2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Check out the Oberon covers. They're beautiful! I have two of them. A blue Roof of Heaven for my K2, and a saddle Da Vinci Nook cover that I modified with a leather stitcher to fit my K3.
They are beautiful. I ordered the Bold Celtic one in saddle for my new K3, despite already having the Amazon cover in black (which I really like, but it's lacking in that wow factor that the Oberon covers seem to have). The biggest problem for me was deciding between black and saddle, but I figured the hand-tooled design might be harder to see in black.

Heh. While I was at it, I ordered a leather card holder to match (I use one as my wallet for my license and credit cards), and a Celtic money clip in pewter. Oh, and I ordered a pewter Celtic bookmark too for my paper books. Somebody stop me.

Here's a pic of my K3 cover that's on order:

Will2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2010 View Post
They are beautiful. I ordered the Bold Celtic one in saddle for my new K3, despite already having the Amazon cover in black (which I really like, but it's lacking in that wow factor that the Oberon covers seem to have). The biggest problem for me was deciding between black and saddle, but I figured the hand-tooled design might be harder to see in black.

Heh. While I was at it, I ordered a leather card holder to match (I use one as my wallet for my license and credit cards), and a Celtic money clip in pewter. Oh, and I ordered a pewter Celtic bookmark too for my paper books. Somebody stop me.

Here's a pic of my K3 cover that's on order:

Love it! I considered a Celtic cover myself. The more I see them, the better they look!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #53
Will2010
Will2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Love it! I considered a Celtic cover myself. The more I see them, the better they look!
Thanks. The covers in your signature are pretty too.

I have to say it was hard to resist ordering the Sky Dragon in red. That thing is really beautiful and eye-catching.

If I'm feeling especially decadent and I love the Celtic cover when it comes, I may just break down and order the Sky Dragon too. There's no law that says you can't have more than one.
Will2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:07 AM   #54
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'm lost to these Oberon Covers: besides the red Wild Roses cover for the Kindle, I also ordered a green Ave of Trees for the iPad. I was saving up for another ereader but now I've invested it in covers. Is there something like an O.A. (Oberon Anonymous)?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #55
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I'm lost to these Oberon Covers: besides the red Wild Roses cover for the Kindle, I also ordered a green Ave of Trees for the iPad. I was saving up for another ereader but now I've invested it in covers. Is there something like an O.A. (Oberon Anonymous)?
if there is, I damn sure need it... 4 different leather "devices" and yearning for more. oh! and 2 barettes!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have the Red Sky Dragon for my K1 and I love it. I bought the purple Sun for my DXG. I really like that one as well. I see myself replacing it at some point in time. It is wonderful but I am not feeling as attached to it as I am my Sky Dragon.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #57
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Folding Oberon Covers back

Anyone here with an existing Oberon cover - how flexible is the leather for folding it back behind the Kindle to read one handed?

I have a Kindle 3 with the Amazon standard cover and I find it a bit stiff to fold back though it seems to be loosening a bit with age.

I guess with the charm on the front that won't actually work very well as it can't get flat with that in the way.

I am struggling these days to hold the Kindle in a 'book like' fashion - with thumb in the spine area, as I have started getting RSI in both hands and my thumb joints are really painful.

Consequently I like to read one handed or with a flip cover - but these Oberon ones are soooooo pretty (particularly the Celtic one).
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Anyone here with an existing Oberon cover - how flexible is the leather for folding it back behind the Kindle to read one handed?
It will be stiff when you first get it, but quickly becomes more flexible the more you use it. I always fold my Oberon covers back with no problem.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #59
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I just got the Sky Dragon in red for my K2. It is beautiful, but in person, they are even more so. It is just like someone above said, they have a WOW factor.

I am normally a person who focuses on things that matter from a rational standpoint. But these are just... 19th century master leathersmith quality. I have it out on my desk at work now, and find myself staring at it from time to time. When I'm reading in public, I catch people looking at it. It is funny, I never dress to impress, but I have this weird sense of pride in my Kindle and its cover.

My only worry is that I hardly use the left page turn button on my Kindle any more, and I'm worried that I'll wear out the right one. It is a risk I'll have to take, I guess.

I paid $75 for my K2 Oberon cover. I notice they reduced their price to $69, presumably for the smaller amount of material that is needed. Very classy, and they have earned even more of my respect.

I too ordered a card wallet with my Kindle cover from Oberon. I got one for my wife too. I downsized my wallet and replaced it with this. I feel so liberated, and I get that same sense of pride whenever I pull it out.

If you're on the fence, go for it. You will not regret it. Well, maybe that you didn't order it sooner, but that is all.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #60
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post

I have a Kindle 3 with the Amazon standard cover and I find it a bit stiff to fold back though it seems to be loosening a bit with age.

I guess with the charm on the front that won't actually work very well as it can't get flat with that in the way.

I am struggling these days to hold the Kindle in a 'book like' fashion - with thumb in the spine area, as I have started getting RSI in both hands and my thumb joints are really painful.

Consequently I like to read one handed or with a flip cover - but these Oberon ones are soooooo pretty (particularly the Celtic one).
Its cover is very flexible. In fact, it almost falls back. My Oberon cover goes on a Sony 505 which is a little smaller than the Kindle which makes it harder to hold onto. I have osteoarthritis in my hands and the Sony is hard to hold without a cover. I've had several covers with it and the Oberon is decidedly the most pleasant to hold.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote