Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
Augen "The Book" eBook Reader

While looking through the Kmart flyer in today's Sunday newspaper, I noticed they had an ebook reader for sale at $89.00. I researched it online and it looked like something that would be a perfect fit for me. I went to the local Kmart and they had 2 units. I bought one, called a friend and he purchased the other one. So far the unit works pretty good and came with over a hundred free ebooks included. One of the best features was its ability to be recognized by "Caliber" and books can be directly downloaded to the device. It also has built-in "wifi" but I found it was very clunky and I was unable to download a book from feedbooks.com. Since I mostly read DRM free books, connecting to my computer and downloading from there isn't much of a problem. If anyone figures out how to delete books directly from "My Books" or "Favorites" folders, I'd like to hear from them. Tks.

One problem I've had, and its a minor one, is I can't figure out how to remove books from the device directly, particularly books added to the "Favorites" tab. Anyone else have this unit yet? Find out more on the Augen web site.

Last edited by clayw1pi; 07-19-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: I'd forgotten to include something.
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
Hi,
I too like the Calibre addition- it seems to be the best way to add new books, but I have not figured out how to add anything but books to my SD card.

I noticed in Recent reading that it only showed the last thing I had been reading - not several choices like my Aluratek does. Sometimes it shows the page I left, and sometimes it starts at the beginning of the book. After a couple times, I put a bookmark in where I wanted to stop- which did let me get exactly where I wanted to be in the book. I do not understand the inconsistency.

I cannot yet figure how to remove anything from favorites yet either - am researching that You can- although I agree it is cumbersome - use the U disc to connect the reader to the computer, open the device and look in My Books. There you can delete books.

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
clayw1pi
Enthusiast

There is no way to remove items from the Favorites Menu. I have contacted Augen Support and they tell me they will work it into the next revision. I imagine that will be a downloadable update. Here's the support web address.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
clayw1pi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
Hi,
I too like the Calibre addition- it seems to be the best way to add new books, but I have not figured out how to add anything but books to my SD card.
Connect TB to your computer and it will display the contents of the internal drive. Just use Windows Explorer to drag pictures from your computer to the "Picture" folder on the "U-Drive". It's easy to do.

P.S. If you get an error that says "unsupported format" it means your pictures are too large. Try reducing the size, I know that's a real pain.

Last edited by clayw1pi; 07-23-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: I'd thot of something I'd forgotten.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayw1pi View Post
<snip> Just use Windows Explorer to drag pictures from your computer to the "Picture" folder on the "U-Drive". It's easy to do.

P.S. If you get an error that says "unsupported format" it means your pictures are too large. Try reducing the size, I know that's a real pain.
Hi all,

there's probably many image editors around with batch processing, but IrfanView is one that is free and has very good batch processing tools, so you can reduce the size of an entire directory's worth of images in one hit.

I've done this in the past and it works quite well, and is fast, too.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
pictures on The Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

there's probably many image editors around with batch processing, but IrfanView is one that is free and has very good batch processing tools, so you can reduce the size of an entire directory's worth of images in one hit.

I've done this in the past and it works quite well, and is fast, too.

Cheers,
Well, while I had a working computer I played with Irfanview too. Picture files over 1mb are 'unsupported'. If your picture size is bigger than the screen size, then you are shown the center section of the picture. Turn it on the side, and you see the center of the picture again- and depending on the picture, the side edges that did not show on the portrait mode are there.

If you have a picture that is smaller than the screen, the menu options available for pdf files will appear if menu is pushed, and you can use the options successfully.

The pictures I've loaded have sold me on the color feature after all. The color is pretty accurate, and you can flip through the pictures like a book.

Adding in pictures is using up space on the SD card- I may use the 8GB space after all, especially since I uploaded a bunch of music files to it. Don't listen to music through the speaker though- you will cringe

Rebecca
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I created a folder named Video and one named AudioBooks on my SD carder and dropped a couple of avis (not in a folder) into the video and 2 folders each with a named audiobook in the Audiobook folder and the software found them immediately. The avi files both quite large, play really well with no stops and the audio matches the lips. I was pretty impressed. I think the video is much better transferred through one's computer card reader/writer than through the cable and not stored on the Books flash drive.
The audio quality was quite clear on both yet the volume a little low in the avi file. I did have to use my earpods on the avi, though not the mp3 files.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote