Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #121
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
That'll buy a lot of defective Paperwhites.
(Trauma Doll made that comment in reference to a spam post I just deleted. )
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #122
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
(Trauma Doll made that comment in reference to a spam post I just deleted. )
You know, I thought so, even sans the spam comment, because (s)he left a spam trail all over this forum.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #123
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that was a rather busy one, but now the scumbag is banned and lost in cyberspace ... at least until next time, when they return under a new alias.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #124
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No it doesn't! Tilt the PW top toward your eyes and look down into the bottom part of the screen at an angle and you will see 4 lit LEDs even at light level 0.
Does that mean you _never_ can turn it off?
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #125
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
... only that then the contrast is worse than on the K4s I have.
Is that really so? Then it seems nonsensical to me, too!
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #126
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquele View Post
Does that mean you _never_ can turn it off?
It goes off when you turn the kindle off.

I think they deliberately did this so they can claim the pw has better contrast
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #127
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Miquele, not sure which page the quote is from, and I may have misspoken (difficult to say without seeing the context that it was taken out of) and may have meant K4B.

I find the K4B contrast higher than on the PW. It's very, very evident to me when I compare them. However, I love the PW software, so I am still hoping I can find two with at least acceptable screens (way to curb one's own expectations, huh?)
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #128
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I guess I feel fortunate that the one I bought for Mom works well. Hardly any shadowing at all between the LEDs and it definitely doesn't get to the text.

I'm not sure why people were surprised that there was no audio. Audio was never mentioned as a feature in the first place. I have the Kindle Keyboard and that audio feature (which I never use anyway) adds quite a bit of weight.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #129
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Disappointing news about the Paperwhite thus far. I was considering replacing DH's dead Kobo Touch with it. I guess I'd better wait a bit or get something else.

Given my troubles with a series of very unreliable replacements after purchasing a new Kobo wifi for DH that turned out to be a lemon, they aren't likely to be a good substitute IMHO. I'll allow that the Kobo Touch (very last replacement) worked great - until failing under very easy usage conditions. My Mom's Kobo wifi still works well enough, though its painfully slow. I know Kobo can make a reasonable reader, but no way am I convinced that the best hardware ereader is the Kobo Glow, though its always possible that they have fixed the potential weaknesses from their earlier designs.
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #130
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I guess I feel fortunate that the one I bought for Mom works well. Hardly any shadowing at all between the LEDs and it definitely doesn't get to the text.

I'm not sure why people were surprised that there was no audio. Audio was never mentioned as a feature in the first place. I have the Kindle Keyboard and that audio feature (which I never use anyway) adds quite a bit of weight.
The keyboard adds most of the weight. But if Amazon was to remove the speakers, that would cut down the weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #131
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I didn't want to start a new topic.

I have 1225 MB free. So my 153 books have used about 25 MB? I had it backwards when I started typing this. Thought my device was almost full lol.

Still, maybe I shouldn't add too many more. Or maybe I should, and see if it affects performance. Has anyone loaded their paperwhite up to see what happens?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #132
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No reason to suppose it'll be any different to any other Kindle. I have over a thousand books on my Touch; it behaves absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #133
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No reason to suppose it'll be any different to any other Kindle. I have over a thousand books on my Touch; it behaves absolutely fine.
That's good to know, but if you may recall, the Kindle Keyboards do suffer performance issues long before they are filled with the maximum number of books that Amazon claims they can hold. I am hopeful this will not be a problem with the Paperwhite.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #134
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's good to know, but if you may recall, the Kindle Keyboards do suffer performance issues long before they are filled with the maximum number of books that Amazon claims they can hold. I am hopeful this will not be a problem with the Paperwhite.
I remember having those problems with my K2, and maybe early on with my K3, but I believe if I remember correctly that software upgrades took care of it. At least, I no longer have performance issues because of the large number of books I have on my K3.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #135
miquele
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
(way to curb one's own expectations, huh?)
Absolutely, I ordered one but prepared myself already to *maybe/probably* send it back. Amazon's marketing department is way ahead of their product team, must remember that for their next keynote.