Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: My Kobo Touch and Calibre
Every thing works fine on the Touch with out Calibre. 8 20.00%
My Touch started having problems after I started to use Calibre with it. 10 25.00%
I have had no problens with my Touch when usiing Calibre. 16 40.00%
I dont use Calibre I just drag and drop my books to the Touch. 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
fbrII thanks for the tip about epub to epub I'm off to see how that goes for my books missing covers.
What happens if it is a PDF with a missing cover? Do you do a PDF to PDF conversion? I've tried PDF to epub without much success due to the known limitations of converting PDF.
But does a PDF to PDF conversion add the cover without messing up anything else?
if you look at your books in calibre do you see a cover if you do then tweak the book explode it and see if a cover is there. If the cover is there either "cover. or cover1. file exstension then the problem is calbre. it has nothign to do with converting it or reconverting it.. the cover is there in all its glory. factory reset after processing those books will all have covers plain and simple.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Couple of questions here.

Did you submit a support ticket to Calibre regarding the issue and have you placed a question in the Calibre forum as well as here?

If you have not, then you might find questions answered in a far more timely manner by Calibre development staff or experienced users.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Jack,

I can only repeat what I said earlier. I have had no issues since I have been making conversions prior to downloading. There is a post under the calibre forum that goes into detail about the problem and its related to how the cover was attached or packaged in the epub.

It appears you and I are having different experiences with calibre. I don't doubt you are having issues and they may be related your specific mix of hardware, operating system, calibre version. I hope you will be able to work it out soon.

Harley,

I think the issue with covers, at least the issue I had with covers, in most cases will be fixed by doing a conversion from whatever you have to whatever you want. I don't think it matters much whether it is from lrf to epub, mobi to epub, epub to epub etc., As far as formatting issues (does it mess up anything else) I rarely reformat a PDF because I don't normally care for the results.

However, there is a new version of calibre 0.8.11 which preserves the original format when doing a conversion. I don't have any experience with it yet but if true, you should be able to reformat without risk. If you don't like the result you still have the original pdf version.

But check this all out by reading the change log at calibre's site. I did a quick review when I upgraded the new version today but I wasn't paying close attention.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Jack,

I can only repeat what I said earlier. I have had no issues since I have been making conversions prior to downloading. There is a post under the calibre forum that goes into detail about the problem and its related to how the cover was attached or packaged in the epub.

It appears you and I are having different experiences with calibre. I don't doubt you are having issues and they may be related your specific mix of hardware, operating system, calibre version. I hope you will be able to work it out soon.

Harley,

I think the issue with covers, at least the issue I had with covers, in most cases will be fixed by doing a conversion from whatever you have to whatever you want. I don't think it matters much whether it is from lrf to epub, mobi to epub, epub to epub etc., As far as formatting issues (does it mess up anything else) I rarely reformat a PDF because I don't normally care for the results.

However, there is a new version of calibre 0.8.11 which preserves the original format when doing a conversion. I don't have any experience with it yet but if true, you should be able to reformat without risk. If you don't like the result you still have the original pdf version.

But check this all out by reading the change log at calibre's site. I did a quick review when I upgraded the new version today but I wasn't paying close attention.
You can repeat all the conversions you want it wont make a diferance with the touch. The program Calibre corrupts the data to the touch period. I know I converted hundres of dif times dif ways it makes no dif. The books are nto at fault. The fault is the fact that calibre corrupts the metadata on the touch rendering your covers usless. Doing a Factory reset proves this as the books on the sd card are left intact and they are the ones pushed over by calibre. The proof is that as soon as the touch processes those files from calibre the covers are there . You can convert hundreds of times it wont make a dif untill the calibre drivers for the touch are fixed. untill then covers will be far and few inbetween. I have been down this road for weeks. Like I said factory reset proves this to be the case. AS soon as calibre interacts with your device covers wont show up on any new books and ereader storage errors occur.
CALIBRE CURRENTLY CORRUPTS THE META DATA TO THE READER.

Using calbire to manage your books is not an issue as you can save them to the disk. Then you can Just drag and drop them onto your reader... bypassing the problems that are currently caused by the touch drivers. Allowing calibre to interact with your reader will cause you countless headachs.

FBR your thinking is not flawed its just not correct. The problem is nto the epubs its how Calibre is handleing things. They have to fix the drivers. I am sorry but Calibre is defnatly not the end all of end all ebook management... Preety darn close though... It is The best there is really. What it does it does for the most part well. but currently it doenst handle the touch well.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could someone open this as a BUG please --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #21
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Could someone open this as a BUG please --> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre
No way of doing so. I have no desire to get spam mail from launchpad.net
Old 07-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #22
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you will continue complaining about what you perceive to be an issue and do NOTHING to request a fix?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #23
jackastor
Wizard

Yes and its not what I precieve its a fact. Test it out your self.

Last edited by jackastor; 07-25-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #24
sabredog

Good grief, you seem completely and totally unwilling to request assistance. There is a Calibre forum, use that.

Nevermind, I linked this thread.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #25
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
There are a lot of dif formats of books out there. Calibre can manage those books for you and convert from a format say mobi or lit to epub. There are some epubs that people have scanned into the mix by hand. You can use calibre to download information about the book, set up series, authors, tags for searching. For example say you have a book on magic for beginers you could set up a tag to be magic, magic for beginers, my magic books etc. or in my case i usually set it up as the series name. Now say you want to know what the book is about, Calibre can grab that information as well and store it with the book, some ereaders can use that information and display it for you .
Now say the cover you have is ugly and the book you have seen at the book store has more apealing look well calibre can change that cover or even create a custom (albeit custom covers tend to be plain) cover.

Calibre has a great video that can show you how its done. Its well made and explains things and shows you as he explains it.

http://calibre-ebook.com/demo

Now say you have a book that has DRM well there are ways to remove that DRM so that you can use the book you own on all your Ereading platforms.

Also if you wanted to just manage your colleciton and say tranfer only a few books at a time you can do so. There is small learnign curve but Calibre is so well deisned that you will be able to handle it very quickly.

good luck

jack
I really appreciate you explaining this to me. Sheryl
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #26
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher0808 View Post
I really appreciate you explaining this to me. Sheryl
No problem. Glad to help.

Enjoy your ereading... its the only way to go these days.

regards

jack
Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #27
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
No way of doing so. I have no desire to get spam mail from launchpad.net
FWIW, the only mail I got by signing up on Launchpad was a confirmation mail for setting up my account.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
FWIW, the only mail I got by signing up on Launchpad was a confirmation mail for setting up my account.
Thanks for the information I will keep that in mind.

regards

jack
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Billowz
Billowz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Billowz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Billowz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Any word on whether Calibre is working on/fixed this issue yet??
Billowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #30
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billowz View Post
Any word on whether Calibre is working on/fixed this issue yet??
As sabredog has said several times, these discussions should be taking place on the Calibre forum, and if they were, you would have your answer, and likely also your fix by now...

I'm fairly certain that Kovid (the developer of Calibre) doesn't read this forum by the simple fact that he hasn't posted anything in response here, so he likely has no idea this problem is going on. He *does* respond personally and very frequently on the Calibre forum...

Cheers
The REAL Joe

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 08-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote