Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Sony Japan to focus on ebooks for cell phones

Sony plans to exit the Japanese market for the delivery of ebooks to PCs and its dedicated ebook reader. Instead, the company will focus only on delivering content to mobile phones, the Nikkei Business Daily reported this week.

Sony’s wholly owned subsidiary Timebook Town provides ebooks, ecomics and other content for use on PCs and the Librie ebook reader. However, since halting production of the Librie last year, Sony has decided to stop the Timebook service per February 2009 and liquidate the subsidiary.

From then on, Sony will only focus on delivering content to mobile phones. Sony’s Publishing Link, which launched services in December 2007 offering ebooks, ecomics and other mobile content, will be expanded. Sony said that demand for ebook readers remains strong in the US and other overseas markets so it will continue ebook sales for devices and PCs in those markets.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Uh-oh. Exiting markets is not a good sign

I'm glad that the Japanese eBooks on cellphone market is so strong but I hate to see Sony exit the eBook market in Japan. They may claim that the eBook reader market is strong in the US and that they'll sustain the product here, but it's hard to justify a business that doesn't sell in your home market.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I guess they find reading books on 2 inch screens more enjoyable over there
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To be honest I'm surprised that they've kept the Librie bookstore open this long. It was a commercial disaster, by all accounts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
We have to remember that the Sony owned TimeBook Town is THE ONLY WAY of how to load book to your Sony Librie reader. There are some ugly hacks that enable you to read - gasp - your own text - that is text not purchased from TimeBook. Even legally ... aehm ... "purchased" books expire after 2 months.

It means all libries become expensive paperweights per march 2009.

It is scary to see how Sony treats the suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H customers that purchased their product. Phew!!!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Sony said that demand for ebook readers remains strong in the US and other overseas markets so it will continue ebook sales for devices and PCs in those markets.
The missing part of the quote:

"...for now."

rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
We have to remember that the Sony owned TimeBook Town is THE ONLY WAY of how to load book to your Sony Librie reader. There are some ugly hacks that enable you to read - gasp - your own text - that is text not purchased from TimeBook. Even legally ... aehm ... "purchased" books expire after 2 months.

It means all libries become expensive paperweights per march 2009.

It is scary to see how Sony treats the suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H customers that purchased their product. Phew!!!
Never, ever, underestimate the ugliness of Sony's business ethics. They the biggest control freaks to date, probably along with apple.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Never, ever, underestimate the ugliness of Sony's business ethics. They the biggest control freaks to date, probably along with apple.
I'm sorry, it's business not ethics. When a product line costs more to maintain than the revenue it produces it is generally dropped. Even if I got a Kindle and they told me all my books where safe in the "media library" I am still going to download them to my PC and archive them somehow.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
No 'bout-a-doubt-it...anyone remember the Sony "root kit" debacle? I am just happy I bought my Clie nx73v at a thrift store for $16 vs. buying it new only to be abandon as the "wonderful" Mylo's came out...bleech...Sony and Apple should just merge to form the anti-keyrist and be done with it...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
That's the very same picture that accompanied a NYTimes article of a few weeks ago that dealt with Japanese not just reading on their cellphones but actually writing entire novels on them (the verdict being that they read like long text messages). I think this is a terrible development: reading and writing on a screen that small encourages the composition of short sentences and almost no paragraphing, with no real layout even a possibility. In any case, it will lead to a transformation of the printed page that will seriously transform the way we read.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Well, if you are going to make your money selling content, you are going to make a lot more of it selling content for the device everyone already has.

Also, with a huge corp like Sony, it is probably more relevant to focus on the division of Sony doing this, instead of the corporation as a whole. Sony Pictures, Sony Music and Sony Computer Entertainment probably had minimal involvement in this, so bringing up the rootkit fiasco is mostly irrelevant.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
This is the message I do not want to see on Sony's ebook store

http://musicstore.connect.com/

I think with the existing hacks for uploading content to the Sony Reader, the Reader will continue to have a life for a long time (I still use my minidisc players), but I would not recommend buying a lot of Sony DRM'd books.

I would hope that Sony would provide a mechanism for reformatting their DRM'd books (making them useful after your Reader dies) if their Reader was ever discontinued. But based on my experience, that ain't gonna happen.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I would hope that Sony would provide a mechanism for reformatting their DRM'd books (making them useful after your Reader dies) if their Reader was ever discontinued. But based on my experience, that ain't gonna happen.
They probably couldn't do that even if they wanted to-- the publishers would scream. The most you can hope for is that they'll transfer your record of purchase to someone else, like Fictionwise or Amazon. And that would likely only happen if they get bought by one of those entities.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
No doubt, neko. With the Sony minidisc players, you still have the option of playing your music out through the earphones and rerecording the music on a computer, or other device... at real time.

Perhaps if Sony discontinues the reader and ebook store, we can all just take pictures, page by page of our DRM'd books and make our own paperbacks!

Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My bets are that after they pull this off in Japan, Sony will dump the connect store and ebook reader here in the U.S. They are probably waiting on the next round of their cell phones for sale here in the states towards the end of this year. I remember replacing my Palm V with a Sony Clie and 3 weeks later Sony dumped the hand held business here. Several months later my install cd would not work so I tried to download the Clie software and was met with the "we are no longer in that business" message.

I bought a PRC 505 against my better judgment and after trying to use the Connect store ordered a Kindle several months later. That was my last sony product "ever".
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phones, ebooks, sony