Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #46
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC
Obviously not just a case of everything being black and white ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
... and read all over? That's a newspaper, right?
No wait --- I got it ---- that's a liseuse!!! What do I win?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #47
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
no, Bats. with a B. they're mammals.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #48
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
no, Bats. with a B. they're mammals.
Um... yea... edited my post... pressed post too soon.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #49
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I won BATS ?? geeee.... that's not very exciting ..... you kin have 'em back.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #50
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I won BATS ?? geeee.... that's not very exciting ..... you kin have 'em back.
Maybe with a little buffalo sauce and blue cheese dip?

-MJ (Yes I know, it's bl-EU-se, not bl-UE-se )
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #51
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Ummm. Wait, I'll take them with me to Marc's party. [ Somebody there is sure to want them.... ] And that might keep my own spleen a little safer.

Hey - my spleen had mononucleosis way back. [They wouldn't let me out to see President Ford visiting our campus. ] So maybe the party guy will let me keep it. Wouldn't want to taint his palate!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #52
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Apparently bats are the order of chiroptera and rodents are the order of rodentia both in the class of mammalia (mammals).

However, from Wikipedia on rabies:

Any mammal may become infected with the rabies virus and develop symptoms, including humans. Most animals can be infected by the virus and can transmit the disease to humans. Infected bats, monkeys, raccoons, foxes, skunks, cattle, wolves, dogs or cats provide the greatest risk to humans. Rabies may also spread through exposure to infected domestic farm animals, groundhogs, weasels and other wild carnivores. Rodents (mice, squirrels etc) are seldom infected

So, while bats are not rodents you can get rabies from them.

BOb
Well, that's all right then.

He was pretty insistent that if little Sammy Squirrel got bitten by a rabid cat, then right after that poor little Sammy would also be EATEN by said rabid cat.

Obviously hadn't met the type of squirrels we find these days.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #53
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ummm. Wait, I'll take them with me to Marc's party. [ Somebody there is sure to want them.... ] And that might keep my own spleen a little safer. ...
The bats will be there, but as guests. Of course, these are Megabats (Pteropodidae) and it should be noted that megabats are naturally fruit and nectar eaters, so one shouldn't be concerned at their number and large size.

[Thinks to self: I'm glad no-one knows how I've been retraining them from an all-vegan diet, altering their latent haematophagic genes to get their salivary glands to express anticoagulant agents, lengthening and sharpening their canines, and re-enabling their vestigial human-parasitic psychopathology. Yes, I better not bring that up. The Megabats have promised to keep both varieties of vampirism to an absolute minimum, so it's only fair I keep our uplift project quiet too]

Yes, come along...the bats are delightful.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #54
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Look at the naming convention ;

Bats starts with a " B " ,
Rodents with an " R " ,

Rabies with an " R " also -----

Thus : using transverse upside down logic
where 2 " R's " can't go together ;

we can say with
99.9 % confidence that only Bats ( in this example ) can
transmit rabies ...

" L " really does mean loopy !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #55
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
we can say with
99.9 % confidence that only Bats ( in this example ) can
transmit rabies ...

" L " really does mean loopy !
Australian fruit bats are not a vector for rabies. Australia is officially a "rabies-free" zone. You are perfectly safe from rabies here, and should not fear any such contagion.

Australian bat lyssavirus is whole 'nother story.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 AM   #56
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
I have a small country home which is plagued with ground squirrels. When I first got the home there was one squirrel living under the house. I opened the outside crawl space door, about 3 feet wide, and crawled under the house and chased the the squirrel around. Despite having a 3 foot wide exit, it would not go out. All I could do was curse at it. I gave up and next took the tactic of placing a fake owl near it's entrance hole and that did the trick. It moved up the hill and dug a hole under two 300 year old oak trees. At the same time there was another squirrel (female, it turns out) living under an outbuilding. She had a batch of babies, which were undeniably cute. Later she and her tikes moved under the oaks with the other squirrel. Now I have a village of squirrels living under the oaks and am worried about the squirrels possibly harming the oaks because there are about a dozen holes under the oaks. SO, I placed another fake owl on top of the outbuilding, which is near the oaks, hoping that it would drive the squirrels off to the hill across the road. So what do I see this morning? The mother squirrel carrying her latest brood from under the oaks to under the outbuilding (with the fake squirrel above). Perhaps she thinks the owl will protect her brood from other predators.

As for coyote urine, I have real coyotes in the area (one once howled outside my bedroom window at night) and that hasn't scared off the squirrels. Like cockroaches, they'll outlast humans.

Last edited by Stanart; 05-09-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #57
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanart View Post
All I could do was curse at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanart View Post
It moved up the hill and dug a hole under two 300 year old oak trees.
I didn't know squirrels dug holes in the ground ... You sure you're not mixing them with moles? Were they missing a bushy tail and sort of short-sighted? That would explain the owl not being effective!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #58
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post

I didn't know squirrels dug holes in the ground ... You sure you're not mixing them with moles? Were they missing a bushy tail and sort of short-sighted? That would explain the owl not being effective!
Ground squirrels are burrowers.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #59
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
Yes, I am talking about squirrels - specifically the California ground squirrel, which is considered a pest. It is capable of climbing trees but lives in burrows in the ground. There must be millions of them in California and cause a lot of damage to agriculture.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But they make better pets than your average tree-squirrel.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness