Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
This actually makes me a bit nervous about the future of our computing devices. The last thing I want is to be forced to choose between locked ecosystems. Yet even Microsoft is going in that direction. I hope they all fail.
The FCC, RIAA, MPAA, and other IP interests work with these closed solution providers to lock out less vigilent players. We just had the FCC allow cable companies encript all channels. Sony has introduced a new protection scheme that prevents BDs from being format shifted, and the Librarian of Congress says we can no longer format shift our purchased media.

If you're not locked into something, you'll be a criminal.

What should happen is that your licenses are transferred when you move from one closed system to another, but consumers do not have enough money to bribe, er, influence the politicians who make these laws.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
From the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Google Designing 'X Phone' to Rival Apple, Samsung

By AMIR EFRATI

GOOG -0.89% Engineers at Motorola MSI -0.75% are hard at work on a sophisticated handset, to be released next year, that parent Google Inc. GOOG -0.89% hopes will provide more potent competition for devices like Apple Inc.'s AAPL -0.85% iPhone, said people familiar with the matter.

Seven months after being acquired by Google for $12.5 billion, Motorola is designing its marquee handset—known internally as the "X phone"—to stand apart from existing phones, though the company is running into some obstacles, these people said.

The previously undisclosed development effort is a key facet of Google's strategy for bolstering the miniscule market position of the cellphone pioneer, based partly on bolstering quality while reducing the quantity of Motorola products.

Motorola is primarily working on two fronts: devices that will be sold by carrier partner Verizon Wireless, such as the "Droid" line of smartphones, and the X phone, these people said. Motorola is also expected to work on an "X" tablet after the phone, the people added.

But while Google is known for swift execution on the Web, its new hardware unit has run into obstacles associated with manufacturing and supply-chain management that have caused the company to rethink some initial plans for the X phone, these people added. Meanwhile, Google must manage complex relationships with smartphone makers that use its Android mobile-device software—particularly with Samsung Electronics Co., 005930.SE -4.06% a Motorola rival that has become the No. 1 smartphone maker with Google's help.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...598368942.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #78
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
To recap:

1. You post incorrect information to support your point

2. That information is shown to be incorrect

3. You reply that it "depends on our definition" of what happened, and that it is besides the point anyway.

Okay then.
The information that supported my point was correct. I stated my point twice but you evidently missed it twice. The facts that lead to the speculation are what support my opinion, not the speculation itself. There was conflict and it eventually lead to Amazon offering a web app earlier this year to get around it. That doesn't seem to support your position that there isn't likely going to be any further issues going forward and that Apple always wants to give consumers what they want.

It's fine to disagree with my opinion, but please stop playing these childish games.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #79
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kenny,
You know what Jerry Seinfeld would ask about that WSJ report, don't you?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #80
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Kenny,
You know what Jerry Seinfeld would ask about that WSJ report, don't you?
No I don't, nor do I care, so you have something to say?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #81
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
The information that supported my point was correct. I stated my point twice but you evidently missed it twice. The facts that lead to the speculation are what support my opinion, not the speculation itself. There was conflict and it eventually lead to Amazon offering a web app earlier this year to get around it. That doesn't seem to support your position that there isn't likely going to be any further issues going forward and that Apple always wants to give consumers what they want.

It's fine to disagree with my opinion, but please stop playing these childish games.
At one point two years ago, Apple considered imposing onerous terms on third-party retailers selling products via iOS apps. They decided not to pursue this policy.

Your understanding of these events is that they make Apple likely to exclude those services from iOS in the future. Why would that be? Why is Business Insider gossip more relevant to you than the actual historical record?

Today, Apple promotes Google Maps as the top-ranked mapping solution in its iOS store. It is the first app you see when you click on this:

If anything, the historical record shows Apple has a consistent willingness to tolerate and even encourage rival services on its platform. The reason for doing so is that the vast majority Apple's revenues come from hardware, not services or software. The better iOS is, the more iPhones and iPads they sell.

I'm sorry, but you have misunderstood the company's business model, its history, and its motivations. There is not much to take seriously in your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No I don't, nor do I care, so you have something to say?
Don't be rude, Kenny. It's the least courtesy you could extend to those of us who patiently tolerate your terrible jokes and pointless linkspam day in and day out.

Last edited by holymadness; 12-21-2012 at 04:48 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #82
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Today, Apple promotes Google Maps as the top-ranked mapping solution in its iOS store. It is the first app you see when you click on this:

Oh please. I assume you haven't been living under a rock for the last few months and are aware that this is only the case because Apple's own mapping solution was such a monumental failure. Why would you insult us by assuming we don't know that?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #83
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Oh please. I assume you haven't been living under a rock for the last few months and are aware that this is only the case because Apple's own mapping solution was such a monumental failure. Why would you insult us by assuming we don't know that?
Everyone knows that. Only an ignoramus would need it pointed out. Sorry to pull the rug out from under your big reveal.

Apple has had that button prominently featured on the front page of its app store since a few days after the release of iOS 6.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #84
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
The information that supported my point was correct. I stated my point twice but you evidently missed it twice. The facts that lead to the speculation are what support my opinion, not the speculation itself. There was conflict and it eventually lead to Amazon offering a web app earlier this year to get around it.
That it simply incorrect.
You could never purchase books through the iOS Kindle app, you always bought them through a web browser.
The only impact of the Apple change was that Amazon removed a button from the Kindle app that switched to their page in Safari for you.
They did not introduce a web app to 'get around' the change.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #85
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Only an ignoramus would need it pointed out.
I think that's why I felt it necessary to point it out to you.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #86
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
I think that's why I felt it necessary to point it out to you.
Hoho, what a zinger. The next Groucho Marx, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll have to share that one with my nieces and nephews at Christmas dinner. Kids get a kick out of that level of wit.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #87
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Hoho, what a zinger. The next Groucho Marx, ladies and gentlemen.

I'll have to share that one with my nieces and nephews at Christmas dinner. Kids get a kick out of that level of wit.
Thanks. I appreciate your compliments (whilst noticing your lack of any real response).
Old 12-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #88
kennyc

Wow, the end of the world really brings 'em out eh?

Maybe we did cross over....hmmm....
Old 12-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #89
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate your compliments (whilst noticing your lack of any real response).
Response to what? All I see is more insipid tripe, as usual.

If you mean your bizarre objection that in the future, I should spell out common knowledge as if I were talking to illiterates, then I'm sorry I tried to write as if for an adult audience. In the future I will keep your special needs in mind.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #90
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Response to what? All I see is more insipid tripe, as usual.

If you mean your bizarre objection that in the future, I should spell out common knowledge as if I were talking to illiterates, then I'm sorry I tried to write as if for an adult audience. In the future I will keep your special needs in mind.
You know what, forget it. Pointless.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 12-21-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Realised arguing was pointless