Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
This MIGHT be the Google’s Nexus 7 Tablet...

Because everytime I copy & paste a news story title, people scream speculation...

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/25...ays-before-io/

• 7″ IPS display with 178 degree viewing angles (1280×800 resolution)
  • 8GB and 16GB storage options, priced at $199 and $249
  • 1.3GHz NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • Jelly Bean (Android 4.1)
  • NFC with Google Wallet loaded
  • 1.2MP front camera
  • 9 hours of battery life

It's not that much different to the KF in the end, just a small bump.
  • 7" multi-touch display with IPS, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution
  • 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content)
  • 1 GHz TI OMAP 4 4430 (dual core)
  • 512 MB RAM
  • 8 hours continuous reading or 7.5 hours video playback

No SD card either.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
It's not that much different to the KF in the end, just a small bump.
Those small bumps in each area, though, do add up. Looks interesting, if it turns out to be true.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I suspect over the next few years computer companies will be building lots of Win8 tablets and few Android tablets. Win8 is going to beat the pants off of iOS and Android. Microsoft is late to the game, as usual, but they have the ability to change the game and that they will.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Posting Guidelines Violation
Old 06-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I suspect over the next few years computer companies will be building lots of Win8 tablets and few Android tablets. Win8 is going to beat the pants off of iOS and Android. Microsoft is late to the game, as usual, but they have the ability to change the game and that they will.
Android is free, Windows 8 is estimated to cost an OEM $75 to license. That's a $75 price penalty for every MS based tablet in a market where the only way to grab market share from the market leader (Apple) is on price. MS had two years to blow IOS out of the water, and failed. Given the fact that MS just cut Nokia off at the knees with their Windows Phone 8 "upgrade" it would be a bold/naive OEM that heavily invested in the MS platform. Nokia spends Millions advertising Windows Phone with the tag line that the beta test is over, and then MS announces that those Brand New phones people just bought have no upgrade path to Windows Phone 8, and that software developed for Windows Phone 8 won't be compatible, so basically Zero hardware and software crossover between the platforms. In other words, Windows Phone was a beta test and a technological dead end. The death knell for Nokia.

Microsoft has the potential, but they keep screwing things up so completely, they are absolute masters at shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 05:10 AM.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Wow. You were able to get all of that out of the MS Surface "announcement" non-event? Howsabout waiting until these devices actually make it to market (IF they do) before proclaiming or implying that it will "change the game".

unless by "change the game" you meant in a Microsoft Kin sort of way.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 05:11 AM.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
It might be interesting if it materializes.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I agree, Android is awful on a tablet. Its fine on the KF, but my next tablet will be running Windows RT.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-29-2012 at 05:11 AM.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Android does everything I need it to do. Therefore, no sense wasting money on a device to get features I'll never use.

Just to re-iterate, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all tablet. Just like PC's, the user base is quite diverse. The market can easily support different models for different needs.

More power to those who want a Windows based tablet, but I belong to a group of consumers who have absolutely no need for one.

Choice will bring success to the tablet market.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hmm... My pending reading list on my KF is over a year long (not including Comic books)

The majority of my side loaded apps& games are NOT certified for android 4x AFAIK.

I am stuck at one checkpoint in "Shadowgun" and "Nova HD" Two 3D games Supposedly made for the "tegra"class processors but they run flawlessly on my KF.

My KF is less than a year old
and giving me more than the functionality
I though it ever would
I am content and not looking for the "next great thing" in a tablet at this point.

Last edited by Anabran; 06-25-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like the $199 price tag on this. The lack of SD, though, is something that bothers me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I like the $199 price tag on this. The lack of SD, though, is something that bothers me.
Lack of storage expansion is pretty much a deal breaker for me. If I have to be tied to the net in order to view content, I may as well do it on my computer. For me, a 7" tablet is for consumption away from home; and that means I'll generally be in places that have no WiFi.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Lack of storage expansion is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
Me too. The listed features and prices are fantastic, but no SD card storage would be a deal breaker for me.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Lack of storage expansion is pretty much a deal breaker for me. If I have to be tied to the net in order to view content, I may as well do it on my computer. For me, a 7" tablet is for consumption away from home; and that means I'll generally be in places that have no WiFi.
While no SD card isn't exactly a dealbreaker for me, as I have yet to fill my Fire, even with movies, audio-books and lots of apps on it, I too cannot understand this "you'll just get everything from the cloud" mentality.
Maybe in a few years, but these devices are for the here-and-now, and in the here-and-now, even if it always worked perfectly and 'the cloud' was totally safe and reliable, the fact is Wifi is NOT ubiquitous, and cellular data can cost $5/GB.

Now, if we had the infrastructure described HERE, cloud-only devices would be fine.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm interested, as a replacement for my kids Nook Color. The n2a android part is hosed. Maybe they can fix it, or replace it. I am in contact with them. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can try to make my own card for the NC. Cheaper than a new tablet. But having one like the proposed Google Tablet is very attractive. No tinkering needed! (Of course I would tinker anyway....)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
While no SD card isn't exactly a dealbreaker for me, as I have yet to fill my Fire, even with movies, audio-books and lots of apps on it, I too cannot understand this "you'll just get everything from the cloud" mentality.
I think it is more about margin's for the manufacturer. If the device has an SD Card slot, who would pay extra $50 for the version with 16GB instead of 8GB? Most people would buy the cheap version and then throw a cheap 32 or 64GB card in it and be done.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote