Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
It's gorgeous! The size is very attractive to me, because of my poor eyesight (extremely farsighted). It will be hard for me to hold out to see what Sony is going to do...

It's funny how this device seems to have flown in completely under the radar, when we've spent so much time discussing a (possibly imaginary) new Sony reader!

Last edited by cghipp; 04-15-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I dunno, taosaur, the 6.8" screen seems like it might be too big. I'd love to see one, hold it, see how it balances in my hands. I'm also cautious about the shaped back - makes it kinda hard to have a screen-protecting cover. I do like everything else about it, though.
They claim to have multiple different covers for it on their website...

But no user replaceable battery...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I just bought a Glo, dammit.

Oh, I just know I'll get one of these providing the reviews are good. Someone mentioned the CPU being the same so hopefully that doesn't translate into performance issues. The only other thing I can think of is whether or not the weight gain will be uncomfortable.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This would appear to be Kobo's answer to the PaperWhite screen. It may be my eyes, but the Home screen on the YouTube video gets "whiter" towards the end - it starts off as a gray eInk screen, then "whitens" out towards the end. The page views certainly "appear" quite comparable to the PW screen. It will be interesting to see comparisons between them.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This would appear to be Kobo's answer to the PaperWhite screen. It may be my eyes, but the Home screen on the YouTube video gets "whiter" towards the end - it starts off as a gray eInk screen, then "whitens" out towards the end. The page views certainly "appear" quite comparable to the PW screen. It will be interesting to see comparisons between them.
The Glo would have been their Paperwhite no? They have similar specs and appear similar in pics.

This is a premium device with larger screen and higher resolution (higher/same ppi than the iPad retina).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The thing isn't all that big; it's less than half an inch wider that kpw.
That is almost the exact width of a manga paperback. (5.05" vs 5")
So yes, it's a manga reader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
that display is a thing of beauty. i have like 5/6 ereaders still but i might have to risk the wife's wrath to get one of these... hmm anyone want a couple year old Pocketbook 701? i dont think i can part with any of the eink ones.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Husband says I gotta wait another generation or two before I upgrade, having just gotten my Paperwhite a few months ago. *sigh* He's probably right.

besides, I don't know which of my backup readers I'd give up for this one.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I wonder how one can get a case, given the shaped back? I don't totally trust my readers in my purse without a case.

But... this may get me to break my "no new technology this year" pledge to my husband. (I wonder what Amazon is going to do with this new screen?)

One of the threads in General Discussions asks, how many ebooks is enough? for me, it's how many ereaders is enough? should I give up my Sony 350 if I get this new Kobo? or keep the 350 for the small form factor, and give up my beloved Kindle Keyboard (which resides in a drawer now that I've got the Paperwhite)...
Kobo sells the cases as well..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Oh my... my husband had asked me what I wanted him to get me as a present, and methinks this will make a very fine present for mother's day this year! Man, he will be jealous

I've wanted a reader in the 7-8 inch range for a long time, and this looks fantastic. I, too, had sort of wanted to hold out to see what Sony came up with next, but I think that isn't going to happen. My debate over the Kindle PW and the Kobo Glo is now over.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
It looks intriguing. I'll be interested to hear how the glow screen compares to the other ones out there.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Oh My.. as a gadget freak as I am.. I will order one tonight.. it is too beautiful to pass up.. the screen size and resoulution is the ticket.. plus it's only $169 bucks.. pretty cheap when you measure and consider the time and enjoyment you will get out of it..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Battery life really depends on how people use it--things like if WiFi is always on, if the light is always used when reading. I expect the page turning to be faster. They are talking about a different technology for it, and it is not like more than 1 GHz is required for that. I know that in the past, speed for that kind of thing has improved greatly as the developers continued to work on it. It has not been a hardware issue for a very long time.

The Aura is about an inch wider and two inches taller. I ordered one and will report back on how it feels in my small hands. I did not get a cover. if that oddly shaped back is supposed to make holding it a better experience, then I didn't see the point in going for a flat backed cover. Besides, they are saying that the screen is much more durable than previous models and I don't expect to take it out of my house, except when it goes away on holidays with me.
The sleep cover actually has contours to match the back.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
From the Kobo website:

Quote:
Customizing your reading experience is simple. TypeGenius allows you to select your preferred font from a choice of 10 styles and 24 sizes, including Kobo Nickel. Kobo Nickel is our exclusive font, designed to leave more ink on the page for a more comfortable read. You can also adjust the sharpness and weight of each font – a feature exclusive to TypeGenius – and set your margins to create your perfect page.

eBooks: EPUB, PDF, and MOBI
Text: TXT, HTML, XHTML, and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #30
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
The sleep cover actually has contours to match the back.
oh, now that's just clever.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote