Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The Big Short, Michael Lewis

Wow, I saw this film yesterday and it helped me to clearly work stuff out about the sub prime housing mortgage loans in the US during the naughties (2005 to 7 say).

I rarely read the book after I've seen the movie but in this case I'm going to so that I can focus on all those financial terms and their meaning, again.

And, apparently, the same phoney stuff once again went on the market for sale in 2015 (so the statements at the end of the movie informed) .....

Anyone read the book? Got any comments?

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-the-big-short
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Yes, I have. Gripping, and Michael Lewis knows his stuff. Amazingly, way back in 1980 in his first book, "Liar's Poker", he mentioned the invention of these "products" and said that their creators described them as "toxic waste". Even then.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 AM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Excellent work!

History keeps repeating itself where greed is concerned.

"Enron - The smartest guys in the room."
"August"
Madoff
dot.coms in general.
The S&Ls crisis in the 70s and 80s.

The books are written.
The movies are made.

No one wants to remember or listen.

I have spent much of 2015 not really trying to make money in the Market, just trying not to lose too much. My cash has done as well or better straight up, and thank goodness for dividends.

I could carry on all night, but what the heck, I got a good tip on a horse that is supposed to be a good "snower" for tomorrow. [ you know like "mudder"]
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Finished the Big Short a little while ago and have been mulling it over. I think it is an excellent intro as to what brought the US economy down 07/08, and I now somewhat understand what 'sub prime housing market' means and entails.

It just sickens me to know that workplace survival in a number of the finance marketplaces depends on the ability to be masters of deception, obfuscation, and, quite frankly, the negative persona list could go on and on .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks for the reminder Lynx-lynx. I've been meaning to read that for a while - must move it up on the list.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert