Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall be the Sci-Fi selection for August?
Agent of Change by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller 13 36.11%
The Maze Runner by James Dashner 11 30.56%
The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein 11 30.56%
Dhalgren by Samuel R Delany 14 38.89%
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 11 30.56%
The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything by John D MacDonald 7 19.44%
The Martian by Andy Weir 14 38.89%
Way Station by Clifford D. Simak 12 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
It is incredible that seven out of eight are so close. It's a strong group though. This is my least favourite category and I voted for over half and am interested in almost all of them.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #17
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
While neither is my first choice, if the two books in the lead right now are what we have to select from (Dhalgren v. The Martian), then I'd push for Dhalgren, please. I've read The Martian, and it's certainly a fun read, but really without a whole lot of depth and with rather poor characterization. OTOH, depending on how many haven't voted yet, there's still time for a couple of the other options (though in spite of myself I'm in agreement with Jon on the Clarke book).
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Having read all the strikingly positive comments on MR regarding The Martian, I read it last year and was actually quite disappointed. I found it really overrated; a good short story idea gone a little wild. I've also read Rama, although many years ago and found it pretty dry, but I'd be game to reread if it won.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder who is going to cast the deciding vote if we don't end in a tie?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:41 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
Having read all the strikingly positive comments on MR regarding The Martian, I read it last year and was actually quite disappointed. I found it really overrated; a good short story idea gone a little wild. I've also read Rama, although many years ago and found it pretty dry, but I'd be game to reread if it won.
You'd have to be pretty gamey to read Rama a second time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Before the voting is done, just a note, Dhalgren is a little over 300,000 words. Do you have time to read such a large book? The Martian is a lot smaller and an easy read.

I will give a go to Dhalgren if it wins, but I don't think I'd finish it by August 20th.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 PM   #22
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I thought the Martian was excellent. I didn't vote for it just because I've already read it, but it's a great selection.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:59 PM   #23
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I thought the Martian was excellent. I didn't vote for it just because I've already read it, but it's a great selection.
I thought so too; it is the only book I have read twice since getting my Kindle. First as the indie version then as the traditionally published version. I didn't vote for it mainly because I knew a lot of people here have already read it recently.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:54 AM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I was hoping there would be a last minute tie-breaker but at least it isn't a 3 or 4 way tie. We didn't need any run-off votes last year but this is the third this year already.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm just glad that Rendezvous with Boring (er Rama) did not win and cannot win. It's the worst of the bunch and how it got there, I will not know. My guess is that during the nomination process, three people were swayed by the name of the author. After it was pointed out how bad it is, there's no excuse for voting for it.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, I see it's a tie: The Martian vs. Dhalgren. I'm at my daughter's house at the moment, but I'll be leaving for home soon and I'll get the poll up and running tonight. I don't know about Dhalgren, but the Martin is excellent. As someone else said, the only reason I didn't vote for it is because I've already read it, but I wouldn't object to a re-read.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Here is the poll. It is not multiple-choice, since there are only two options. It will be open for three days.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote