Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #61
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
There is an article on "The Martian" on Ars Technica. Being afraid of spoilers I havn't read it yet but it seems interesting.
Thank you!

And to be clear - the article is FULL of spoilers even though the author said he would save them till the end. Don't read unless you have already read The Martian or you don't care about spoilers.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #62
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I read the self-published version last year and really liked it, I am wondering how it has changed by being traditionally published. If anyone has read both versions (or wants to lend me the new version ) I would love to hear a comparison.
OK, there is a REAL, SIGNIFICANT spoiler in my response, so don't say I didn't warn you.
Spoiler:

My Overdrive reservation for the "new" version just came up, so I checked it out. I didn't do a page-by-page comparison, but it didn't seem significantly different. The episode of the RTG retrieval was shortened, and the epilogue was eliminated (I wasn't impressed by him cussing around a kid in the original anyway), so in general, it may have just been a "tightening up."
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #63
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
... I'd like to have seen more colours of emotion than that - he never seem to get down or despondent.

Tension ramped up toward the end though which was fun.
You should read the Ars interview mentioned in this thread. Weir admitted that he flat-out disregarded the crushing depression that would inevitably set in, and wrote Watney as an impossibly upbeat individual (with a pointer to the Aquaman joke).

I work in the space business, and I didn't even have to suspend disbelief about Watney's attitude, having met people like Don Pettit. On his first mission to ISS, Don spent a holiday (I can't recall if it was Easter or Mother's Day) trying to revive a "dead" payload that I was supporting (a freezer). He got it up and running, just long enough to make an ice cube (in a lattice of his own invention that got the water to stay in place by surface tension), and then it died forever. He was cheerful throughout, even after the final failure.

The real-world Mark Watney is Don Pettit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Pettit

Last edited by curtw; 11-23-2014 at 10:13 AM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #64
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Just got notification from eReaderIQ that this book dropped to $3 on Amazon. I bought it immediately -- perfect timing as I'd just finished another book. So far I'm enjoying it.

Adding the audiobook was another $3, so $6 for both if you're interested in the audiobook (I passed on that).

Last edited by twowheels; 11-25-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: [clarifying source]
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #65
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My claim to fame: Andy Weir was one of my older brother's best friends. We played laser tag and RPGs and made fun of stupid movies together when I was a kid.

He's an all-around great guy and totally deserves his success, and so I am only slightly miffed that he hit the NYT Bestseller Lists ahead of me.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #66
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thanks for all the recommendations for this book! I just finished it and loved it. The science descriptions were perfect - not glossed over yet not drawn out. Interesting to learn that there was an epilogue in the self-pubbed version - I felt the published version could have expanded on the ending. A Watney and Kapoor reunion for example.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #67
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations for this book! I just finished it and loved it. The science descriptions were perfect - not glossed over yet not drawn out. Interesting to learn that there was an epilogue in the self-pubbed version - I felt the published version could have expanded on the ending. A Watney and Kapoor reunion for example.
Epilogue? He didn't mention that on his triangulation interview when asked about continuing the story. Now I have to go look for it!

A bit of Googling doesn't find it. Can anybody point to where the last paragraph might be read?

Last edited by twowheels; 12-12-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #68
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Epilogue? He didn't mention that on his triangulation interview when asked about continuing the story. Now I have to go look for it!

A bit of Googling doesn't find it. Can anybody point to where the last paragraph might be read?
It was only in the self-published version so not readily available anymore. I have it from when the entire story was posted on his website.

Mods: Can I post it or a link? It is about 265 words. I am just not at all sure on the legality in this case. Would this count as fair use?

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-12-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Question for mods.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 PM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It was only in the self-published version so not readily available anymore. I have it from when the entire story was posted on his website.

Mods: Can I post it? It is about 265 words.
Only if you have explicit permission from the author. E.g. if it was published on his web site with a creative commons licence that allows distribution.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #70
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only if you have explicit permission from the author. E.g. if it was published on his web site with a creative commons licence that allows distribution.
That's about what I thought. I will check if he did, but I doubt it.

Edit: Nope, no such luck in what I have.

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #71
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would this count as fair use?
That's really a question on a court can decide, but I suspect not.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #72
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's really a question on a court can decide, but I suspect not.
Right, I am not going to push it.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #73
twowheels
Wizard

Well, that's OK. I remembered hearing that the originally published it on his website for free, so I jumped in my time machine and went back in time to read it [hint hint]. Turns out that the last paragraph wasn't all that great (IMO) and it was probably best that he cut it -- it didn't add anything to the story, and if anything seemed incongruent.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #74
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Well, that's OK. I remembered hearing that the originally published it on his website for free, so I jumped in my time machine and went back in time to read it [hint hint]. Turns out that the last paragraph wasn't all that great (IMO) and it was probably best that he cut it -- it didn't add anything to the story, and if anything seemed incongruent.
Good to know! I won't bother looking for it then.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #75
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just finished reading this one myself. I really, really (really!) liked it!

I've read some great books this year -- not that they were necessarily published this year, but it has worked out well for me!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote