Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Religion doesn't make sense and yet a lot of people believe in it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Phew...

For a moment I was afraid you'd say something rude, arbitrary, and irrelevant!

- Ahi

Last edited by ahi; 07-29-2009 at 02:20 PM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #18
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Only because they've been indoctrinated from a very young age.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
And he told me that it's all pretend anyway so it doesn't have to make sense. I say fiction or not, it still has to make sense and if there is some special explanation for something illogical, they need to clue the reader in. So, what do you think...it's all pretend so who cares, or I am right to demand an explanation.
I hate fiction that is internally inconsistent.

It doesn't really matter what the subject matter is. E.g., historical novels shouldn't have glaring anachronisms.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
Only because they've been indoctrinated from a very young age.
Quite right.

The same dastardly practice is responsible for most people's obstinate belief in wearing clothes even in weather that does not necessitate it.

I propose government legislation against both of these forms of heinous brainwashing.

- Ahi
Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Clearly, it makes sense to the religious.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I hate fiction that is internally inconsistent.

It doesn't really matter what the subject matter is. E.g., historical novels shouldn't have glaring anachronisms.
I think that's the key: internal consistency.

There's nothing wrong with implausible stuff, so long as the writer has explained why it is so despite the apparent implausibility.

But I hate feeling smarter than the writer.

If I figured it out, he/she should also have. It seems pointless to read something written by somebody who is clearly intellectually duller than I... hell, what if I catch what they have?

- Ahi
Old 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Clearly, it makes sense to the religious.

both sides have no logical grounds to be belive what they do..
there by it make no sense to belive or not to belive.

now lets move one before this starts a flame war and the mods take away the news and commentary forum
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #24
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
there by it make no sense to belive or not to belive.

now lets move one before this starts a flame war and the mods take away the news and commentary forum
Why must common sense prevail every single time I suggest massive and Orwellian government interference in the private lives of people as the solution to a problem?

- Ahi
Old 07-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #25
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Of course the plot must be logical, even in fiction.

Stephen King's book Misery talks about this. You may be familiar with the plot--a writer crashes his car in a remote area and is taken in by a crazy killer nurse who is his Number One Fan and forces him to write a book to bring back to life his main character, whom the crazy nurse loved and the writer killed off.

At first the writer figures she's not that discerning a reader and will be happy with anything, and he writes some crazy melodramatic comes-back-to-life story. Annie (the crazy nurse) reads it and says, "No, this won't do. You're cheating." She explains that when she was a child, she went to see the weekly serial at the Saturday movie matinee, and one week the hero's car had plunged off a cliff and burst into flames. All week she wondered and worried about the hero, and hurried back the next week to see what had happened. It turned out he had jumped out of the car before it plunged off the cliff. But they hadn't shown that, and she felt cheated. She said sloppy plotting was cheating. She made him rewrite it and make it good and not cheating.

Misery is a great book. It's not just a horror novel--it's about the writer's muse. Seriously!

That being said, I agree that NYC would be an odd place to go after a nuclear war--it seems like it would be one of the most devastated places. Out in Montana or something makes more sense.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #26
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
there by it make no sense to belive or not to belive....
Really...? Are you sure this statement makes any sense?

I wasn't going to jump in, but some statements need to be thunder-bolted.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The best part of fiction is...

Dear All:

I am one of those people who feel that the best part of fiction is that it is plausible, could happen, I can picture it and build a painting in my head, and that parts of it may or may not be fiction.

Travis McGee (by John D. McDonald) was a big drifting beach bum with a penchant for helping people in need. The fascinating part was after reading twenty Travis McGee books... I felt Travis was almost a friend. The fiction was so close to non-fiction that I could place myself there easily. It always made perfect sense because John D. McDonald was a master author... he made Travis McGee come to life just as Roddenbury made Spock come to life within all of us.

There is an old saying called "Live The Dream". To me, that is good fiction!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #28
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

I am one of those people who feel that the best part of fiction is that it is plausible, could happen
I agree with this. It is sci-fi so it probably won't work right now, but there is some theory (however twisted) that would make it possible. The same with fantasy. Even that should have some logic behind it. The best books are those that are well thought through. There is a backstory (that isn't told, but rather hinted at) that does explain everything that happens.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #29
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Really...? Are you sure this statement makes any sense?

I wasn't going to jump in, but some statements need to be thunder-bolted.

Yeah, but surely it's not when somebody tries to reconciliatorily suggest that neither side is obviously right... as opposed to agreeing with you that your side is right and the other wrong.

- Ahi
Old 07-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Suspension of disbelief is always up to the reader to decide. There are plenty of examples of plots and settings in SF that the reader suspends a lot of disbelief in... the entire Star Trek canon, for instance. But even if you ignore the scientific fallacies, mostly engineered to advance the stories, you can find some great literature in there. (Sometimes.)

On the other hand, if you are more demanding of your science, suspending your disbelief can ruin the story for you. So you decide what is and is not acceptable, to allow you to enjoy the story experience.

Some people can turn it on and off at will, others can't. So you just go with what works for you, you either swallow the scientific problems (and even the best SF literature has it), or you stand by them, and see what stories are left for you.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote