Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You're kidding right? The Surface tablet is a regression as well. People are excited about it because they think they will get a full fledged OS instead they will get a hobbled tablet with limited features.

Yeah I figured Samsung would have to tweak their apps to work in that configuration.

What's sad is the two real leader in the Android space are Asus and Samsung. Samsung is having to tweak the OS to give more flexibility and be more of a consumption based device. And here we have Google trying spending all their energy coping Amazon. Meanwhile the tablet space is left hobbling.
The Intel version of the surface does have "real" windows, and that is the one I would be interested in. Unless the ARM version will be $199, then I might get one just for fun. And Windows RT is supposed to support multi-tasking in 2 windows side-by-side, if I remember correctly.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
They are all like little babies, taking little baby steps in all directions, taking little falls.

The formats will grow more robust.
Remember as all babies do, they will grow stronger and surer. But that doesn't count MS which is like an old blind man,
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #18
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
They are all like little babies, taking little baby steps in all directions, taking little falls.

The formats will grow more robust.
Remember as all babies do, they will grow stronger and surer. But that doesn't count MS which is like an old blind man,
MS might be blind, but you should get updates from the intel version since its full windows.

I'm more interested in knowing what the battery life and heat are like for these devices. Full windows and intel pretty much always required fans to keep cool. I noticed in the Surface presentation they were talking about their innovative venting system, which makes me think heat is possibly a problem.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
I know! And believe me I really really want this device..but then if the screen resolution doesn't stop me.. the fact its made by Samsung does. They give you that stupid touch wiz.. tweaked out apps, then support it for 1 or two updates and cut you lose.
I dislike the touch wiz on the phone quite a bit, but on the tablet it's not so pervasive, I don't mind it, it still feels like ICS. Also it's quite easy to replace the Lancher app with one of your choice. Honestly I really like Samsung's app tweaks and wish Google would roll them into Android, or come up with something better. I really dislike the fact that one app takes up the whole screen.

I had written off this tablet based on the rumor that it would sell for $900. But at $499 I'm interested in it. I know the res is not the best but it does have the best pen solution on the market. If Samsung had this on a 7" size I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
The Intel version of the surface does have "real" windows, and that is the one I would be interested in. Unless the ARM version will be $199, then I might get one just for fun.
The "real" surface tablet will not be so sleek and sexy. It is reported to be thicker and more expensive. My point point is why wait? If you want a Windows tablet I say get what's on the market now because they will be better than the Windows 8 model. The only advantage 8 gives you is it can run the dearth of apps that exist in the Windows app store.

Windows 8 is a merge between the two platforms it will be stripping much of the windows features and adopting all the RT limits on apps formerly know as metro.

Don't get me wrong it's the right move for MS to do, but I'm not excited about the move. It is going to take some time for them to resolve the merge issues.

Quote:
$199, then I might get one just for fun.
For fun?... watch a movie for $3.99 it will be more fun and less frustrating.

Quote:
And Windows RT is supposed to support multi-tasking in 2 windows side-by-side, if I remember correctly.
I heard this was the limit for Windows 8 as in the OS on PC. I've not heard where this will be a features for Windows' tablets. If that is the case it will be a nice feature indeed.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Well, Steve Jobs took these away from us (when he dumbed down devices others followed) and now they are coming back. Why shouldn't we rejoice, I have always wanted mobile devices to be more PC like -- as in full multi-tasking and with multiple windows (on tablets).
I so agree! I was extremely disappointed when the iPad first came out. My initial response was, "Its just a big iPod!"

Last edited by eSheri; 08-17-2012 at 03:12 PM.
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #21
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I so agree! I was extremely disappointed when the iPad first came out. My initial response was, "Its just a big iPod!"
What's that old saying... One careless night can influence us for the rest of our lives.

Quote:
Frantic Steve Jobs Stays Up All Night Designing Apple Tablet

January 27, 2010

CUPERTINO, CA—Claiming that he completely forgot about the much-hyped electronic device until the last minute, a frantic Steve Jobs reportedly stayed up all night Tuesday in a desperate effort to design Apple's new tablet computer. "Come on, Steve, just think—think, dammit—you're running out of time," the exhausted CEO said as he glued nine separate iPhones to the back of a plastic cafeteria tray. (more...)
=X=
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
It is a big iPod.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I dislike the touch wiz on the phone quite a bit, but on the tablet it's not so pervasive, I don't mind it, it still feels like ICS. Also it's quite easy to replace the Lancher app with one of your choice. Honestly I really like Samsung's app tweaks and wish Google would roll them into Android, or come up with something better. I really dislike the fact that one app takes up the whole screen.

I had written off this tablet based on the rumor that it would sell for $900. But at $499 I'm interested in it. I know the res is not the best but it does have the best pen solution on the market. If Samsung had this on a 7" size I'd buy it in a heart beat.

The "real" surface tablet will not be so sleek and sexy. It is reported to be thicker and more expensive. My point point is why wait? If you want a Windows tablet I say get what's on the market now because they will be better than the Windows 8 model. The only advantage 8 gives you is it can run the dearth of apps that exist in the Windows app store.

Windows 8 is a merge between the two platforms it will be stripping much of the windows features and adopting all the RT limits on apps formerly know as metro.

Don't get me wrong it's the right move for MS to do, but I'm not excited about the move. It is going to take some time for them to resolve the merge issues.

For fun?... watch a movie for $3.99 it will be more fun and less frustrating.

I heard this was the limit for Windows 8 as in the OS on PC. I've not heard where this will be a features for Windows' tablets. If that is the case it will be a nice feature indeed.

=X=
I have a Windows tablet, as you can see from my device list. Works great (with a Wacom pen). As for the surface Intel tablet, yes, it will be a little bit thicker and a little bit heavier, but still quite comfortable to use as a tablet. Of course it will be more expensive, but for me well worth it -- if I want something I am willing to pay more for it. Most probably I will wait for the second or third generation, though. This should give the hardware time to catch up. As for Windows RT, I don't see this as a major upgrade over my Touchpad and I would only buy it if it was dirt cheap (as in $199 or less).

The side-by-side feature works in the "Metro" interface. And that is shared by both versions, so presumably it works in RT, too? On the regular Windows 8, once you hit the desktop you can have as many windows as you want, so I don't see why they would even mention the side-by-side if it wasn't meant for RT?

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-17-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #24
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well after much debating with myself, I pulled the trigger. The text is better then iPad 1 but not nearly as crisp and sharp as iPad 3. Still, while text isn't sharp, its dark so that helps a lot. The pen, is smooth as butter, at least the couple times I played with it.

Still need to do more testing but my iAnnotate app on iPad works on the same app on Android. I'm able to read and edit my annotations from the iPad.. still need to do more testing though.. been busy. So far I like it for the price..

Oh and my Wacom pen from my old Tablet PC (TC1100) works on the Galaxy Note tablet..
Old 08-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #25
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Well after much debating with myself, I pulled the trigger. The text is better then iPad 1 but not nearly as crisp and sharp as iPad 3. Still, while text isn't sharp, its dark so that helps a lot. The pen, is smooth as butter, at least the couple times I played with it.

Still need to do more testing but my iAnnotate app on iPad works on the same app on Android. I'm able to read and edit my annotations from the iPad.. still need to do more testing though.. been busy. So far I like it for the price..

Oh and my Wacom pen from my old Tablet PC (TC1100) works on the Galaxy Note tablet..
Very cool keep us posted
Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Very cool keep us posted
Sure, if you guys want to know about anything, let me know.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have the Galaxy Note (5.3") and I think we should give Samsung credit for innovating by including the wacom tablet and pen in the new larger version.

No other tablet that I know of right now (new) offers this capability and, at $500 for a 10.1 " screen it is certainly a good price compared to an iPad which doesn't have the wacom screen and stylus capability.

And Samsung offers tablets at 5.3, 7.7, 8.9 and 10.1" whereas the iPad is just one size. Samsung is one of the leaders in the tablet field and rightly so.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
And Samsung offers tablets at 5.3, 7.7, 8.9 and 10.1" whereas the iPad is just one size. Samsung is one of the leaders in the tablet field and rightly so.
They also offer 3.6", 4.0", 4.2", and 5.0" media players. Apple just offers one 3.5" player.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I have the Galaxy Note (5.3") and I think we should give Samsung credit for innovating by including the wacom tablet and pen in the new larger version.

No other tablet that I know of right now (new) offers this capability and, at $500 for a 10.1 " screen it is certainly a good price compared to an iPad which doesn't have the wacom screen and stylus capability.

While I do love Wacom, this isn't my first Wacom tablet so I'm in with the people that don't see this as an innovation. Still, it was a sorely missed feature that I was used to on other tablets so I will give props for them bringing it back.

I am loving the Wacom pen but wow, Android is short on tablet Apps. Between my iPad and my Note 10.1 as far as software go, they aren't even in the same league.

I will still need to do a lot of my writing on the iPad, but now I can do my note-taking, annotation and research on the Note.

I am thinking of getting a Note 2 for my phone. Need to see the iPhone 5 first. The build quality on Samsung 10.1 Note is all plasticky. Not just plastic, its smooth, shiny plastic and feels kinda cheap. I wish they had rubbertized the back of it so it wasn't so slick and slippery.

That said, it is lighter then the iPad. I was surprised at how heavy and solid my iPad is against the Note.

Screen, no comparison, iPad 3 takes that hands down. However, Note 10.1 is better then the original iPad and iPad 2 as far as text goes.

All that aside, I bought this just for Wacom and in that area I'm giving it a 9 out of 10. Its very responsive, smooth and I can use my older pens with it. I'd give it a 6 on available software. The stuff that is out is pretty good to get you started, there just isn't enough of it out there yet. You're only as good as your software so I'd like more choices for the various things I use a pen for.

I'd give it a 7 for the software it comes with.

Haven't tried the multi-screen stuff yet. I'll be testing that later today.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #30
=X=
Wizard

Quote:

All that aside, I bought this just for Wacom and in that area I'm giving it a 9 out of 10. Its very responsive, smooth and I can use my older pens with it. I'd give it a 6 on available software.
That's it that was my biggest concern with the tablet. Tested the Note 5.3 and was concerned about the lag on the pen. Some reviews mentioned the lag was fixed with the Note 10.1

As far as app availability I know exactly what apps I want to use the pen with and don't really need a score of apps. If the ones that exist are really good.