Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
plaidie
plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android tablet
Frustration

It was all supposed to be so easy, but it's not. I have an eBook in .mobi format sitting in my desktop, and cannot get it to transfer to my Android tablet... not using usb or Calibre or WiFi. Tried Calibre, and other forums said "just click the 'send to device' buttom." Fine, except there is no "send to device" button on my toolbar, though the preferences says there is. So now what?

Plaidie
plaidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is your computer recognizing the tablet when it's connected to it?

What tablet model? What Android version?

What OS are you running on your computer?

You could put the Mobi file on a cloud service (like DropBox) and use that services app to download it onto your tablet. If you plan to use the Kindle app to read the Mobi file you can email the Mobi to the apps email address (found on the Amazon.com Manage Your Kindle page).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
If it appears as a usb drive (like when you plug an sd card in) rather than been recognised as an actual device, then you'll need to use save to disk instead of send to device.

Select the book, pick the convert menu to ensure it's in a suitable format for your device (mobi/epub/whatever), then select the save to disk option that allows you to pick a specific format.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
You'd probably get a lot more help in the "Android Devices" section.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Three questions:

What type of computer do you have (e.g. Windows or Macintosh)?

What type of tablet do you have (better yet, do you know which version of Android it runs)?

What are you using to read ebooks on the tablet?
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
You'd probably get a lot more help in the "Android Devices" section.
I agree. Thread has been moved to the Android Devices subforum.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
plaidie
plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plaidie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank You

Certainly I'll go to the "Android Devices" thread. Being a scatterbrain, I didn't think to go there on my own. To answer, though:

Computer is Windows XP Pro.

Tablet is Android (obviously), Acer Iconia 500. Have no idea how to determine version of Andoid.

On the tablet, I have a Kindle reader app.

Thanks again, all-
Plaidie
Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Do you have Dropbox or some other similar app on your computer and tablet? For me I just dump the file into Dropbox. Then if it's a mobi, you have to move it to the Kindle folder to be able to read it in the Kindle app.

Edit - I'm assuming you have wifi.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
the android version of the Acer Iconia 500 is either Honeycomb or ICS if the upgrade was done. You should see it as a media player when you plug it into your computer. You just need to drag and drop the file into the right folder on your Iconia (I don't use the Kindle app, but NoName has pointed out the right folder).

In Calibre, use the "Save to Disc" command and point it to the correct folder on your 500.

You can also save the book to a USB thumb drive, plug that into your Iconia and use a file manager (like ES File Explorer ) to copy the book to the correct folder. (Just remember to unmount the USB drive before taking it out of your Iconia)
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
I never use the "send to device" from Calibre thanks to Dropbox, but FYI, when you right click on the book one of the options is "send to device". Not on toolbar.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
plaidie

... I know I'm in the wrong place, but I want to share this. The Android PlayStore has a free program called aptly "WiFi File Transfer." It's easy enough to use that even I could do it. Transferred my .mobi protocol eBook to the Android in nothing flat. But I loved all your willingness to help, and you, each of you, have my deep thanks.

Plaidie