Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Safe to Install Connect Software Upgrade

After reading a number of posts from people who had problems after installing the firmware upgrade to their Reader, I have decided not to do the firmware update at this time.

Can I install the update to the Connect desktop software and connect to my Reader that does not have the firmware upgrade?

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this. Did it cause any problems?

Thanks - LBalsam
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
taralon
Enthusiast
taralon has learned how to buy an e-book online

I didn't have any problems. It took me a couple days to figure out I had to have the Reader connected to the PC and run the update function for the firmware to update automatically. There were no issues with moving content items etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBalsam
After reading a number of posts from people who had problems after installing the firmware upgrade to their Reader, I have decided not to do the firmware update at this time.

Can I install the update to the Connect desktop software and connect to my Reader that does not have the firmware upgrade?

Thanks - LBalsam
taralon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBalsam

Thanks - LBalsam
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about. The majority of posts from people who've had problems have been using unsupported environments - Macs, etc. Even with those there have only been a handful of reports compared with the overwhelming majority for whom it's gone flawlessly (other than a battery meter issue which requires a soft reset).

I'm sure that you can upgrade Connect independently, but it's going to "nag" you about upgrading the Reader's firmware every time you plug it in. Best just to get it over and done with, IMHO.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
LBalsam
LBalsam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Thanks - I just took the plunge

Based on the feedback I received here I just updated the firmware and Connect software successfully.

Thanks to all of you who responded.
LBalsam is offline   Reply With Quote