Notices

View Poll Results: What's harder
Wrestling BookDesigner 25 59.52%
Wrestling against a Crocodile 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Possibly because they share a critical characteristic: no one who wasn't raised on them can understand how anyone can actually eat them.
______
Dennis
Well, what else were we going to do with the black, tarry muck left in the bottom of the beer barrels? Throw it out? That's crazy talk!

Cheers,
Marc (Shhh...just quietly...I can't take the taste of either beer or Vegemite)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Well, what else were we going to do with the black, tarry muck left in the bottom of the beer barrels? Throw it out? That's crazy talk!

Cheers,
Marc (Shhh...just quietly...I can't take the taste of either beer or Vegemite)
A long time ago, a no longer extant brewery ran an ad with an interview with their brew master to dispel some myths. One in particular was "No, no, NO!

We do not scrape the muck out of the vats to make Bock beer!"

They didn't. It was a seasonal brew with higher caramelization and a different recipe, yielding a darker hue. But the urban legend was prominent...

I haven't had Vegemite. I've had Spam. It's actually tasty cooked in a dutch oven over a campfire with some slices of canned pineapple in front of your tent when you are out camping, and inedible otherwise. I do like beer.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #18
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Fair points.

Indenting
My experience is that BD will do a four-space indent automatically, whether you want it or not. It won't do more or less. This is a real pain if you ever want to convert poetry.
Isn't the indent determined by the Paragraph style indent setting? If you reduce it to 0, you get a TOC without the underlining of spaces at the beginning of every line, for example. Each paragraph also begins flush left. Unfortunately it's a global setting. It looks like wherever a hard return occurs in the book, it's followed by 'indent setting' worth of spaces. If you set it to 0, but really want indents here and there, perhaps it's possible to set one of the other styles to be like Paragraph, but have indents. I've not tried.
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 AM   #19
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was I posting away into a thread I thought was about Book Designer but when I looked closer it turned out to be a thread about crocodiles, pineapples, spam, Vegemite, tarry muck, Bock beer and wrestling. Eyesight must be worse than I thought.

Last edited by comtrjl; 07-01-2008 at 03:11 AM.
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #20
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrjl View Post
There was I posting away into a thread I thought was about Book Designer but when I looked closer it turned out to be a thread about crocodiles, pineapples, spam, Vegemite, tarry muck, Bock beer and wrestling. Eyesight must be worse than I thought.
Oh, it's definitely about BookDesigner, and, as Ralph Wiggum says, "I'm learnding". It's just that the Aussies among us (such as yours truly) can't have any conversation without something to do with crocodile-wrestling, pineapples, vegemite or beer coming up at least once every paragraph. It's probably a metaphor or something.

Cheers,
Marc
Advert
Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 AM   #21
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I don't know why, but whenever I hear the word vegamite, I think of Spam (the lunheon meat, not the annoying email). Yes, I know they are completely different, but... anyway.

I wish I could find some vegamite. I am just fascinated by the concept of "a dark brown savoury food paste made from yeast extract". Leftover brewers' yeast no less!

I got to get some of this stuff!
Just buy some marmite its the same thing and you can get that in the usa(its actually british in origin)
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:07 AM   #22
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Just buy some marmite its the same thing and you can get that in the usa(its actually british in origin)
To be honest, I never quite understand the seeming interest in wanting to try these spreads. To me it's like the subject of rollmops coming up and thinking to yourself "Mmm, so you get the herring fillet and pickle it, and wrap it around a picked gerkin or onion and store them in a pickle-marinade in a jar. Oh, yeah, I'd really like to try that!".

Look, I'm an Aussie. I know what Vegemite tastes like. Curb your curiosity; it's not worth it.

Cheers,
Marc (with tongue in cheek and with apologies to all the rollmop-loving folk out there)
Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
To be honest, I never quite understand the seeming interest in wanting to try these spreads. To me it's like the subject of rollmops coming up and thinking to yourself "Mmm, so you get the herring fillet and pickle it, and wrap it around a picked gerkin or onion and store them in a pickle-marinade in a jar. Oh, yeah, I'd really like to try that!".

Look, I'm an Aussie. I know what Vegemite tastes like. Curb your curiosity; it's not worth it.

Cheers,
Marc (with tongue in cheek and with apologies to all the rollmop-loving folk out there)
with you 100% there, for the rollmops, the vegemite, the marmite, and the spam. (and i don't like beer, either).

edit : but rollmops do have one redeeming characteristic, in that they have a really funny name. i just wish it had been used for something less revolting (apologies to the hypothetical rollmop-lovers, if such a person exists).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #24
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
marmite fior US readers here http://www.amazon.com/Marmite-125g/d...f=pd_sbs_gro_4

Rollmop is lovely!!! sat in the local pub on a friday night it gets to 10pm and in comes the fish man with his basket of fishy treats...

rollmop with a shake of vinegar from his vinegar bottle

rollmop, cockles, mussels, welks, crabsticks he does it all.

with his little white hat and red and white apron.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #25
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Marmite and vegemite are both yeast extracts but they actually have a somewhat different taste.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Along with wrestling Crocodiles with success I also take on Cane Toads.

http://environment.newscientist.com/...9_head_dn14221
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #27
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post

http://environment.newscientist.com/...9_head_dn14221
Like this?
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/cane_toad/

(NB: Gross, disgusting, not for the squeamish, and very funny...)
_____
Dennis
Old 07-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I haven't had Vegemite. I've had Spam. It's actually tasty cooked in a dutch oven over a campfire with some slices of canned pineapple in front of your tent when you are out camping, and inedible otherwise. I do like beer.

Slice a can of Spam into 4 slices, then fry it until it is crispy. Then make 4 buttery grilled cheese sandwiches and put a slice in each one. You will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I love your latest avatar. Reminds me of some of the pics of my sister and me. Get dressed up in the matching outfits and go pose against the plum trees or whatever happens to be blooming. We Have Confidence!

Last edited by DixieGal; 07-01-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: YAAY! I just learned to multi-quote.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #29
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Slice a can of Spam into 4 slices, then fry it until it is crispy. Then make 4 buttery grilled cheese sandwiches and put a slice in each one. You will love it.

I love your latest avatar. Reminds me of some of the pics of my sister and me. Get dressed up in the matching outfits and go pose against the plum trees or whatever happens to be blooming. We Have Confidence!
DixieGal, I see you're back in the pink!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Er, sorry, but while it's probably barbarous of me, I don't like grilled cheese sandwiches, so this is a no go for me. (I love cheese raw, but not normally cooked, with pizza the notable exception.)

I do love things like chicken fried steak with white sauce, grits, collard greens and black-eyed peas.
______
Dennis

Tags
bookdesigner, clouds of enlightenment, polls, unutterable silliness