Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Your 2014 Writing Goals

At Kenny's suggestion, here is the new thread for this year, and I'll start.

1. Finish "Mail-order Brides"*.
2. Get started on "Surrogate"*.
3. Restart the hunt for an agent.
4. Get to the stage where I can hold a reasonable conversation with a Mandarin-speaking person.
5. Play the piano for half an hour morning and evening five days a week (I'm learning by self-teaching)

I make no apology for including 4 and 5, since Kenny thinks that everything is fodder for one's writing, or provides an encouraging environment for thinking about writing.

Now, come on, everybody. Let's hear your hopes and dreams. Just writing them down helps.

* working titles only
Old 12-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Writing Goals:

Release Spectra's Gambit (only about 20% written so far)
Start book 7

2014 is going to be a big year for me outside of writing so if I get that much done, that will be good.

Adding: Graduate with my second Master's Degree! Finally going take a break from school, I have in school non-stop from PRE-K till now. Its time to try something new LOL!

Last edited by VydorScope; 12-25-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Adding degree
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Good Luck Guys!

Will post my goals in the next week or so...
Old 12-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm hoping to get two books published in 2014. One about the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege (already started), and one other.

I want to finish & publish a game that I've been ignoring for the past while.

I'm also intending to be more efficient with marketing, and plan it better.

Edited to add : I want to write some articles, especially one about the ZSU-23-4 Shilka

Last edited by avantman42; 12-25-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Adding: Graduate with my second Master's Degree! Finally going take a break from school, I have in school non-stop from PRE-K till now. Its time to try something new LOL!
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I'm going to have a go at writing something in American.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I'm going to have a go at writing something in American.
Wow, Mr P, that's quite a challenge - unless, of course, you are well up in the cultural differences through, say, having lived there for a number of years.

I thought about it once, and then decided that, just as I can read an 'american' book and understand most of what the different terms mean, so Americans (and of course, Ozzies and Kiwis) can read my 'english' books with the same result.

But go for it by all means, and good luck!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
James_Wilde
Guru

Interesting combination, Avantman, and I can sympathise with number 3. Indeed, my number 3 is very similar!

Must admit I had to google on ZSU-23-4 Shilka.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
James_Wilde
Guru

Interesting, VydorScope. I seem to remember reading that you have impressive sales of your books?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Must admit I had to google on ZSU-23-4 Shilka.
I named my publishing company after the Shilka :-) Hence why I really should have an article about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde
Good luck.
You too. All of you.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm sorry, but I've decided that if I want to be a writer I'm going to have to act like a writer. Therefore, I do not intend to acknowledge the end of one year until (at least) June of the following year.

I'll have to get back to you about my plans.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Wow, Mr P, that's quite a challenge - unless, of course, you are well up in the cultural differences through, say, having lived there for a number of years.
Nearest I ever got was watching cowboy films when I was a kid. But I figure I can't do any worse than the Americans who try to write about British characters.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'm sorry, but I've decided that if I want to be a writer I'm going to have to act like a writer. Therefore, I do not intend to acknowledge the end of one year until (at least) June of the following year.

I'll have to get back to you about my plans.
Good point. I revise my list to be 2nd half of 2013 goals then.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
All too soon for me yet, the last few months have left me ... I don't know how to describe it, maybe this time next year I'll work it out.

I do know that, other than publishing the books I completed this year (ie. finishing the main goals I had for 2013), 2014 is going to be a quieter year for me in terms of new output. I have plans for a fantasy work that I've been fiddling with for 12 months already, at this point I don't expect the first book to appear until at least 2015. It's possible I may try to publish a few of my short stories - that have surprised me by arriving at all - and if I'm lucky a few more might arrive and let me publish a collection.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
I named my publishing company after the Shilka :-) Hence why I really should have an article about it.
Could be a problem with finding you in the telephone directory. I mean it's not like Acme Publishing...
Closed Thread