Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Ordinaryme
Ordinaryme began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Unhappy Nook STR- Font's a little blurry

Hi,
I just received my first ebook reader Nook STR 3 days ago, and I'm really excited about it.

There's just this tiny problem. After refreshing, the consecutive pages, the font's starts blurring. It's not a big deal though, but it is distinguishable. Sometimes its distracting.

I thought it might be something related to firmware so I upgraded it to 1.1.2 But the problem still persists.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ordinaryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
sonytzu
sonytzu began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch, sony prs-505, motorola xoom
Hi, congrats on your new nook, i posted the same question when i got my nook, here is the thread with the replies:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180602
I came to the conclusion it's because of the fast refresh and because it only does a hard refresh every 6 pages. I rooted it and read with cool reader for a while, where i could set it to refresh every page-turn, but page turning became much slower as a consequence. I ended up going back to the default reader because i really like the layout of the books and the fonts, and even came to enjoy that fuzzy, ragged look of letters because it makes it resembles the printed book more.
sonytzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Ordinaryme
Ordinaryme began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Thanks for replying. In a way, I feel relieved that it's a universal 'Nook'- thing and not a fault with my reader (cause I'm in from India and shipping me back to US would cost me around $30! )

Rooting it is not really an option right now, I really don't feel confident enough to mess with the OS on the very first week

Like the other replies in that thread, I reckon it's best to adapt myself to the 'glitch' and focus on just reading..

Maybe the nest firmware update will deal with this.
Ordinaryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If it were at all convenient to do so (which does not seem to be the case for you), I'd exchange it. While the problem may be 'common' it is not 'universal'. My Nook STR doesn't do this, for example.

Both Kindle and Kobo Touch have an option to refresh every page (a feature added post-ship). This seemed like a 'hack' to me, because my Nook never needed such an option: I can't detect any significant variation in clarity between the 'first' and 'sixth' page, for example.

But it seems to be the case that there are good eink screens and bad eink screens and everything in between. Quality much more variable than conventional LCD display, by all reports and from my own experience. I don't know if that is inherent with the technology or if it is a consequence of the drive to low prices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Neither does my STR do this.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert