Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
Question about Flightcrew errors

Ok, I "cleaned up" a very big book. when I check it with flightcrew, it gives mention of Thousands of errors, going from "element A is not allowed for content model" to "this ops document is reachable but not in present in the OPF", and many more. But it actually looks very nice when I open it with FBreader, Calibre, and my E-reader. I restrain myself to changing covers, deleting custom fonts, images and altering the layout of some pages (making text bold, adding another blanc space,.... simple things). I never mess around with the stylesheets.
So my question is: why do I have thousands of errors, when everything looks and works fine?

And why does my edited book look perfect when I get so much errors?

Last edited by Bookripper; 01-22-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookripper View Post
So my question is: why do I have thousands of errors, when everything looks and works fine?

And why does my edited book look perfect when I get so much errors?
Because there's invalid xhtml present. Browsers and other readers may be more tolerant of invalid code. But invalid code is still invalid... no matter how it might render.

Element tags have to be lower-case: <a> not <A>. If it's for your own personal use and you're happy with the way it works, then don't worry about the errors. If you want to distribute the book to others and wish to have the best possible chance of it working correctly on a wide variety of devices/apps... then look into fixing the errors.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In order to get help, you'll have to post the error messages and the code that goes with them so we can see what's what.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Another common reason is you can't have just any old element, naked: 'a', 'br'

<blockquote> <a> is invalid
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just deleting custom fonts and images from the epub without consideration for existing links to them (not to mention still likely being manifested) would explain a lot of the errors as well. Frankly, if that's what you're doing, you're not editing the epub so much as wounding it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
"editing" is the wrong choice of word indeed. I just want to clean up my library, a lot of the books available (for instance on [pirate site deleted - MODERATOR) are inferior conversions to begin with anyway.
I did about 600 books in total over the last months, before I discovered the flightcrew function (I thought it was on "auto-control" or something and that everything was OK as long as the check "V" was lit green). The ones I checked (almost all of them) do work fine with the Calibre epub reader, on my android device (FBreader) and on my Bookeen Odyssey HD. Even though I have errors in every book.
To give all the errors would be impossible. Fixing them all also. They mostly just refer to pages, fonts,... that don't exist any more.
So basically, I need to learn how to programme Stylesheets...

Edit (a real one :-) ): In my defence: I just did a random Flightcrew check on my "original" epub files, before I started "chopping them up", and most of them already have many, many errors. I just checked 15 books, and only 1 book had no errors. The book with the thousands of errors on which I started the topic, came with thousands of errors....

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Frankly, if that's what you're doing, you're not editing the epub so much as wounding it.
Ouch!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Can epubs be edited in Dreamweaver? Or perhaps converted to html and then edited? It's been many years since I used it on a regular basis, but one of the "perks" of a program like that is that you can update links on the fly.

Last edited by cghipp; 01-22-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: had the wrong name for the program
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please don't help Bookripper with his eBook issues. I can tell you for a fact that the place he mentioned were he gets a lot of his books is a pirate site. All you are doing is helping him clean up eBooks (that someone else messed up) that he stole.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We do not permit MobileRead's forums to be used to request help with pirated books. Anyone doing so will be permanently banned.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread