Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
roromx
roromx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation Should my ToC have links?

I have this simple table of contents (One level), and I want that each title to link to the story, but I don't know how to do it.

Im using Mobipocket Creator.

roromx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi roromx, welcome to MR!

As you haven't spoiled us with information about the steps you've done I can only show you one way you might be successful with your toc:

- Let's assume you have a little text with some chapters, you want the toc link to the chapter titles. How is your text stored? A doc-file, html-file, txt-file, something else? Best is to store it as a html-file.
- Open the html-file in an editor and tag every chapter title with <h2> (for instance).
It should look something like this
<h1>title of the book</h1>
<p>author</p>
<h2>title of chapter 1</h2>
<p>text chapter 1</p>
<h2>title of chapter 2</h2>
<p>text chapter 2</p>
and so on
- In Mobipocket Creator, choose "Table of Contents" in the left column, type in a title like "table of contents" or something like that in the language of the book.
Then insert "h2" in the first field (where "First Level" and "Tag name" come together)
Click "update" and then "build". The points of your toc should then link to the titles of your chapters.

This is a very rough explanation, please come back with any concrete question if it doesn't help you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
roromx

My book was made with single html files
each html is a story.
the title of each html is between <h1> tags

so, in the table of content wizard I put "h1"

The toc looks fine, all the titles of each single story are there, but with no link.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you saying: You open the *.prc file in MobiPocket Reader or on your Kindle, you can go and see the Table of Contents but you can't click any of the items there?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
roromx

That's right.
Im testing the .prc in Kindle for PC, and no links in Table of Contents, only the list of chapters.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
roromx

Any Ideas?
someone? Can I do it in html?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard

You can do it in html. Then you have something like this:

- Make a list of all the chapter titles at the beginning or at the end of your book. It will look something like this:
<A name=toc><p>Contents</p></A>
<a href="#ch1"><p>title chapter 1</p></a>
<a href="#ch2"><p>title chapter 2</p></a>
<a href="#ch3"><p>title chapter 3</p></a>

- Then wrap an anchor around each chapter title, e.g.:
<a id="ch1"><h2>title chapter 1</h2></a>
<p>chapter 1</p>
<a id="ch2"><h2>title chapter 2></h2></a>
<p>chapter 2></p>
and so on.

- In Mobipocket Creator, insert a New guide item into the Guide section:
Title: Table of Contents Type: toc Filename: ????.html#toc

But it would be better to find out why the other way didn't work.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
roromx

Now its working, thank you for your time.

What was happening? Probably I was seeing a cache version of the book, so I delete the file, and the book in kindle, then build again, and now its working fine!

Sorry, im a newbie.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Billi
Wizard

No need to apologize at all. Glad it works now!

Tags
linking, toc, toc problem