Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
andrewcrlucas
andrewcrlucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
ADE support for the VOX?

Does anyone know if I an authorize the VOX with Adobe Digital Editions so that I can copy over library books etc. to it?
andrewcrlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I was just looking for how to do that myself. Plugging it in and turning on USB storage does not make it visible in the ADE menu.

However worst case, there is hopefully an Android Overdrive app (right?) I don't think my sisters are up for downloading to their computers and removing DRM.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Vox is fine with ADE, the Kobo App, not so much (at the moment). Aldiko (for example) will--Calibre also works with Aldiko, btw.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
andrewcrlucas
andrewcrlucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can you clarify what you mean by "The Vox is fine with ADE", yet the App not so much.

When I plug in the Vox, will it show up in ADE and can I drag and drop files to it that can then be read on the Vox?
andrewcrlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcrlucas View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by "The Vox is fine with ADE", yet the App not so much.

When I plug in the Vox, will it show up in ADE and can I drag and drop files to it that can then be read on the Vox?
I am very eager to verify this, too - as I read a ton of library books. PLEASE let this work the same as my Kobo WiFi...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you look through the manual, you will see the file types.

Also from the manual on page 2:

Quote:
Sometimes books are protected using Digital Rights Management (DRM). DRM prevents unauthorized copying of books, and is often used to protect the books you get from libraries and booksellers. Your eReader can read EPUBs protected by Kobo DRM and non-protected EPUBs.
Now, the iOS App (for Apple devices) does handle ADE files. So it is not impossible that the Vox will too. Only Kobo staff know what the expected changes look like, over time. In the meantime, you can use Overdrive, Aldiko, and other programs for library books.

Those of us who have used Kobo devices for awhile know that Kobo very often introduces features first for their format and (very often fairly quickly) expands the functionality of different formats.

Last edited by taming; 10-28-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: sloppy writing on my part
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I managed to install the Overdrive Android app directly from Overdrive, plug in my local library info, and borrow a book. All wifi; no cables. Very nice -- just like doing that on the Blackberry Torch but obviously a much nicer screen experience.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

How did you find the Overdrive Android app? Was that on GetJar?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Here: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/

There is a link on the right hand side saying "If your device doesn't support Android Market, you can download OverDrive Media Console for Android from OverDrive. " and take you to the .apk file
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
pokee
Fanatic

Well...I was able to download the app, and get to the website that has my library and download my borrowed books, but I am a little disappointed that I have to read them through the overdrive App and not directly through the Kobo app -- because I am guessing this means that Reading Life and Pulse won't work with these, correct?

Last edited by pokee; 10-29-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Pulse, at least, is only for books downloaded from Kobo themselves. Remember, they have to keep a database of stats and comments for every single book they have - and likely for every single edition of each book. Keeping track of peoples' sideloads, with the near infinite variety of filenames (or MD5 or equivalent signatures) and author + title combos (since lots of people and sites set the metadata differently), would probably be too much to ask. Odds are that it would force their database to at least triple in size, probably more.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
shawnatmann
shawnatmann began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
KOBO Email says KOBO VOX cannot read library books

I called the KOBO helpline at 1-855-732-3662 [Incident: 111021-001332]

Inbox

Kobo Customer Care
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. B...

2:09 AM (9 hours ago)
More|
Kobo Customer Care via mailmw.custhelp.com to me

show details 11:19 AM (12 minutes ago)

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 240 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
I called the KOBO helpline at 1-855-732-3662

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Danielle L.) 10/31/2011 02:19 PM
Hi Shawna,

Thank you for your feedback. The Overdrive app is not available in the app market so you will not be able to transfer library books to the Kobo Vox. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Response Via Email (Ambrose, Ebrahim) 10/31/2011 05:09 AM
Hi Shawna,

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. We have escalated this issue to our Tier 2 support team and you will receive an update via email shortly.

The Tier 2 team will try to provide a resolution as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that our Tier 2 team may require additional information in order to resolve the issue.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Customer By Email (Shawna Mann) 10/21/2011 11:01 PM
The person had no clue about the Kobo Vox. The person was named Ano or
something. I tried to ask about the apps on the Kobo VOX. I asked if there
is the overdrive app on the KOBO Vox. They didn't know what overdrive was.
They didn't know you could borrow library books on the KOBO. Where do you
find these people? I want to know if I have to plug in my KOBO Vox to
borrow library books just like your KOBO touch and wifi? Can I use the
OVERDRIVE app on the KOBO Vox to borrow and view library books. I bought
the Kobo touch, but it only offered a few hundred free books on it, and I
had to plug it in to download library books. In this case, a smartphone or
a tablet with Android is better. I took back the Kobo touch 10 days after
purchasing it to Staples. I received an email that the KOBO vox is
available, but it doesn't mention anything about borrowing library books on
the website. Somebody in marketing is asleep at the wheel at KOBO. I sent
an email a couple days ago, but got no reply. Does anybody in KOBO care?
Before this I bought a Kindle wifi plus 3G. If you are not American, they
don't serve you. Back to the store it went. I like the free Kobo app on my
smartphone, but I would prefer a decent android based ereader. Is the KOBO
vox it? I don't know, because nobody can tell me much of what it does.
Until they can, I am not buying it. A decent list of apps relevant to
Canadian readers and library users is a must. PLEASE put this on your
website asap!

Another thing. The science section of your ebooks has mostly hokey
metaphysicists and unqualified pseudoscientists, and it is impossible to
sort out the academic stuff from the garbage. Please add more categories,
expecially in the physics and quantum physics sections and the like. More
academic books on Chemistry, and Biology needed too. University
publications are a must too. Things written by scholars and not flakes.
Otherwise I am going to start facebooking and twittering Kobo as Flake U.
Get with the program.
Shawna Mann, A..Sc., physics, mathematics

Question Reference #111021-001332
Product Level 1: Kobo Vox
Date Created: 10/21/2011 11:01 PM
Last Updated: 10/31/2011 02:19 PM

Troubleshooting
shawnatmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
pokee
Fanatic

I spoke to Darrell today, who is a Customer Engagement Analyst at Kobo. He said that the Vox was not designed to be recognized by ADE - and they don't have any plans to make it be (although, I asked if he could ask the development team, as he sits in round-table discussions with them).

The overdrive app is available for download on the Vox. I was able to do it myself and I can read my library books from there. I would rather sideload my books to the Kobo app. from ADE so I can use Pulse and Reading Life for my library books, but alas - it is not to be. I complained about this to Darrell, so hopefully one day we'll be able to use ADE with the Vox...