Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
It appears that the original was by Anastasia Gorbunov, and the original text was "Reading isn’t dangerous. Not reading is.":
http://madartlab.com/2011/05/18/ai-w...in-it-for-you/
It was a competition by a Russian publisher's web site. Here's the google translate.

The caption was the topic of the competiton, and is nicely compact in Russian: Читать не вредно. Вредно не читать. Google gives it (word by word) as Read not harmful. Harmful not reading.

I tried to come up with a colloquial English translation, but the best I could come up with (keeping the neat reversal, but being rather longer) was "Reading is not the problem. The problem is not reading."

There's a high-resolution of the original here which contains a copyright notice from the publisher, ООО Издательство Эксмо (Eksmo Publishing Ltd.), so I suspect that the competition included assigning copyright of the entries to the publisher, as is common in such competitions.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-30-2013 at 06:52 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Thanks avantman42 and pdurrant! Apparently your Google-fu is stronger than mine. Or maybe you were already familiar with it?
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes. Life.
I agree, it emphasizes the bleakness from which this person is escaping.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Thanks avantman42 and pdurrant! Apparently your Google-fu is stronger than mine. Or maybe you were already familiar with it?
I'd seen it some time ago, and vaguely remembered that the English caption wasn't the original. I couldn't remember details, though.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes. Life.
Yes. Reality intrudes on all.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #21
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I suspect that the competition included assigning copyright of the entries to the publisher, as is common in such competitions.
for Prize Money?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I just wish the image had avoided the profanity. Yeah, I know, it's there for realism--but it makes the image unacceptable to many people, including me.
I did not even notice what was said until you mentioned it.

Of course traveling around inner cities I have seen far worse. It's life. Unfortunately perhaps, but still life.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
No, I've not come across it before. Working from avantman42's link, finding the original website wasn't too hard, although it took a google images "more sizes" search to find the hi-res version.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
I guess it comes from the Russian proverb

Хотеть не вредно, вредно не хотеть.
Не begins to die that quits his desires.
(literal meaning - To want is not harmful, it's harmful to not want)

Some more pics, but since they are all in Russian, I think the one in the first post of the thread wins without doubt.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I did not even notice what was said until you mentioned it.

Of course traveling around inner cities I have seen far worse. It's life. Unfortunately perhaps, but still life.
So why stop with a bit of graffiti? Shouldn't the artist have added some rats, moldering garbage, used condoms, and drug paraphernalia to the scene? Maybe the kid should have some bruises, maybe there ought to be some hookers and child predators lurking in the shadows. For "realism."

The point of the illustration is clear without any of this "realism." It is also clear without the offensive word, so why include it?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
So why stop with a bit of graffiti? Shouldn't the artist have added some rats, moldering garbage, used condoms, and drug paraphernalia to the scene? Maybe the kid should have some bruises, maybe there ought to be some hookers and child predators lurking in the shadows. For "realism."

The point of the illustration is clear without any of this "realism." It is also clear without the offensive word, so why include it?
The original does indeed include drug paraphernalia (a syringe) next to an empty bottle and can, and a bin of rubbish bags.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
FWIW, I love the original photo in post #1, and I do think it loses a bit by being cleaned up, but I still removed it (but left a link where the original can be viewed) from the original post because I don't feel that it's safe for the workplace. It's regrettable, but I feel if we're going to retain our family-friendly/workplace-safe reputation, it needed to be done. You can lay all the blame with me.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
If I may suggest: words are words. It is how they are used that is offensive. In this case, it was used to make a point about the nature of reality. It shouldn't be offensive unless you find reality offensive. Which, alas, it sometimes is.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You can lay all the blame with me.
Muck, Muckity, Muck-Muck-Muck.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #30
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
FWIW, I love the original photo in post #1, and I do think it loses a bit by being cleaned up, but I still removed it (but left a link where the original can be viewed) from the original post because I don't feel that it's safe for the workplace. It's regrettable, but I feel if we're going to retain our family-friendly/workplace-safe reputation, it needed to be done. You can lay all the blame with me.
I agree that the originally posted graphic has more impact. But, I also agree on it not being entirely within everyone's comfort zone. And I believe people are entitled to define their own comfort zones.

Thanks for leaving the link.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote