Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Missing companion software

If and when some of you get your DR1000S, you may find you cannot find the irex companion software.

The manual suggestes it is on the SD card and it is copied across when you format and re-configure a new SD card.

Not on mine

However, a zip file of all that should be on teh SD card is now (all of a sudden) appeared on the irex downlaod site (18Mb). & it does have everything, just downlaoded & checked. It has an additional folder.

Mind you, I suspect the Manual is wrong and that you should always have had to download it.

As I generally use a MAC I hadn't really noticed until now when I am trying to use the PC.
Hope this helps

pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
This is very helpful information indeed. Mine should arrive this morning. I'll let you know how it all works out.
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, it has some software but not the "iRex Companion Software". At least it doesn't do what the manual says it should do. Largely because the autoinf file is looking for a file with a different name.

So who knows how it should work. I am still awaiting a response from iRex...
Old 10-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
It looks like the Companion Software does nothing, contrary to the manual. There is no way to browse for books on the computer and transfer them to the DR. Also, the Mobipocket software does not recognize the DR, so you cannot transfer that way either. The only option is to copy using explorer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iRex.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	16928   Click image for larger version

Name:	iRex2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	16929  
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Yup, I thought maybe something funny was going on with my Windows XP/Bootcamp partition, but same result: No "Top Toolbar", no "Inbox", not even resizing using the very visible resize grabber in the lower right corner.

No Create Folder, No "Copy To" (Anything drive/folder outside the card is not even visible) despite the warning that you should use this <bleep> because it needs to keep all those metadata.db files in sync...

It also claims to have downloaded a new firmware AND PC software (~Deity~ knows where), but it's still version 1. I downloaded the Card Restore package from the iRex site, it IS a slightly different iRexDR1000.exe than the one on the original card, but no dice.

(But man, that SCREEN... I can forgive a lot for that!! Have to go to work, will post more impressions and photos later)

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-09-2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Typo
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Same thing under Parallels Desktop
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Yup, I thought maybe something funny was going on with my Windows XP/Bootcamp partition, but same result: No "Top Toolbar", no "Inbox", not even resizing using the very visible resize grabber in the lower right corner.

No Create Folder, No "Copy To" (Anything drive/folder outside the card is not even visible) despite the warning that you should use this <bleep> because it needs to keep all those metadata.db files in sync...

It also claims to have downloaded a new firmware AND PC software (~Deity~ knows where), but it's still version 1. I downloaded the Card Restore package from the iRex site, it IS a slightly different iRexDR1000.exe then the one on the original card, but no dice.

(But man, that SCREEN... I can forgive a lot for that!! Have to go to work, will post more impressions and photos later)

Yes me too! I have no "Inbox" in the Settings, There is no such command "Copy to" and then create a folder....
And I am having dictionary issues (posted on the dictionary thread).
Also, although in personal settings I turned the 'beep' sound off, it remains on. Yes, it is low, but the fact that I cannot turn it off is bothersome.

I am a little less enchanted at the moment.
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
One more minor problem, when you plug the USB cable in connected to a power supply while the dr is off, it turns on and boots up. Also, the manual does confirm this, the status light does not stay on when the dr is turned off and the USB cable is plugged into the wall. No way to tell if it is charging or fully charged. Oh well, early adopter blues.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Also, although in personal settings I turned the 'beep' sound off, it remains on. Yes, it is low, but the fact that I cannot turn it off is bothersome.
It's funny, for me it worked the first time around, but then I did "Factory Reset" (trying to get the PC Companion to work...) and after that same thing as you: it's turned off in the preferences, but still clearly audible.

UPDATE: Ok, so I had to do another reset because it was acting funny after a few hours of charging while turned on, and lo and behold, the sound is now properly turned off as per preferences...

Quote:
I am a little less enchanted at the moment.
Beta-testing, anybody?

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 10-10-2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic

Yes, it just doesn't work. Neither do dictionaries.

Lucky that drag & drop work eh?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
Also, the Mobipocket software does not recognize the DR, so you cannot transfer that way either.
The iLiad had this same problem too at first. It's probably an issue with the desktop software not recognizing the new DR device. I'd expect that Mobipocket will release a new version of their desktop reader in the future that will recognize and sync with the DR.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
One more minor problem, when you plug the USB cable in connected to a power supply while the dr is off, it turns on and boots up. Also, the manual does confirm this, the status light does not stay on when the dr is turned off and the USB cable is plugged into the wall. No way to tell if it is charging or fully charged. Oh well, early adopter blues.
Mine was acting up until a reboot: that fixed the sound problem above, but also the sensor-locking not locking up. But it also fixed the charging indicator not working correctly (it was blinking green rapidly = activity? even though I wasn't using it)

Afterwards, it was blinking slowly orange as per manual, and this morning it was solid green, indicating a full charge. I also used a wall charger for this, namely a Garmin USB charger for their GPS devices which use the same plug.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I'm running the latest update, V1.01, and I can't get the companion software to work at all on my PC. It tries to start and I can see it, but then it fails, as per the screenprint.

Reboot of PC (Win XP) and DR1000 several times, including disconnecting and reconnecting USB cable - it still won't load.

I'm familiar with the iLiad companion software and I do want to use the DR1000 companion software, too.

Is anyone successfully using the companion software? Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	companion software closing.PNG
Views:	324
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	17239  

Last edited by cbell; 10-23-2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added using XP
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #14
pthwaite
Fanatic

Might depend on what you mean by successful. After the firmware update & the DR1000 reboots etc it should then update the Companion software. Try running the update programme again. Delete the companion software .exe file & run the update. It should then just update & re-install the companion software. It sounds like your installation got corrupted.

If that doesn't work, try the whole process from the beginning. rename the DR1000.ini & run the update it should thentry to update the firmware & teh companion software as before.

In my case the software runs and displays etc as before. The only thing it won't do is merge scribbles in any directory other than the writepad directory.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
I'm familiar with the iLiad companion software and I do want to use the DR1000 companion software, too.
Do you have that software installed on the same PC? If so, maybe try installing the DR1000 PC Companion on a different PC, if only temporarily.

Also note that you can run the PC Companion straight from the DR1000 SD card (in a cardreader), you don't need to plug in the DR1000 itself. Maybe there is a driver issue... At this point, the point is to try and find out where the problem really stems from.