Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Adam Hel
Adam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Cbr metadata

Hi,

All the Cbr files on my Kobo Aura don't have any metadata although Calibre show they have some, I actually took time to do them myself. Doesn't Kobo support metadata for all the types of files it can read?

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hel View Post
Hi,

All the Cbr files on my Kobo Aura don't have any metadata although Calibre show they have some, I actually took time to do them myself. Doesn't Kobo support metadata for all the types of files it can read?
As far as I know, the Kobo ereaders do not make use of ComicInfo.xml. It would nice if they did but since it is not a standard item and most of the CBR/CBZ files my daughter has "obtained" did not come with any metadata, I can see why ComicInfo.xml is not supported.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Adam Hel
Adam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Alright but you actually can add them with Calibre, that's why I was surprised to only see the name of the file as the title of my comics and not the full specs. Too bad
Adam Hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
When a book, not matter what type is sent from calibre to a device, the book is copied to the device. Calibre can make changes (it makes sure the latest metadata is in the book), but in general, calibre doesn't fiddle with the device.

For Kobo device, the drive copies the book to the device. Then leaves it to the device to process the book and add it to its database and hence the library. It is up to the Kobo device to retrieve the metadata from the book to put into the database. It does this for book types with well defined metadata. And that probably means the book type has an official standard for metadata. Even then, it doesn't read all the metadata.

I don't know how the metadata is stored in a CBR/CBZ. But, apparently the Kobo devices don't read it. About the only thing you can do is contact Kobo and ask them to add support.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't know how the metadata is stored in a CBR/CBZ. But, apparently the Kobo devices don't read it. About the only thing you can do is contact Kobo and ask them to add support.
A file called ComicInfo.xml is added to the .rar/.zip archive containing the image files. Looking at some of my daughter's collection, it would appear that relatively few cbr/cbz files come with that file. ComicRack has a schema file available for ComicInfo.xml (ComicInfoSchema.zip if anyone wants to take a look at it) and running it against several ComicInfo.xml files says that 4 out of 9 were not compliant with the schema.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert