Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Ripping my DVDs to the Kindle Fire HD

My daughters, wifey to, are getting a Kindle Fire HD for Christmas. I know it is Wifi enabled but can run out of a Wifi area but just not getting on the web or stream movies etc. We'd like to use the video playback options for when we go on a long drive, train ride, etc.

I had an idea of ripping my DVDs (I do own them and in no way advocate Privacy (especially as you can buy the movie for just under £4 3 months after its release)) but I am unsure with what software to use to get it to a nice quality and also to not occupy alot of the Kindle Fire HDs memory. So I don't want to lose a lot of the quality but would like a small size.

Can anyone recommend a good ripper and what dimensons, file type and size please?

Thank you
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lots of DVD ripping software around. My personal favourite is a commercial one sold by a company called "Aiseesoft", but there are many free ones around, too.

As far as resolution goes, I generally rip at a resolution of 640x480, which is a good compromise between size and quality (it looks good on my 32" TV, and great on portable devices). The Fire has native support for MPEG4, so choose that, rather than AVI.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for this. I'll go and check out the price of it now.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Villordsutch, start with the free stuff. http://handbrake.fr will do the trick. Keep your eye on http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ as they post free versions of commercial apps daily and frequently very good ripping software.

some help with this. [mod: link removed in accordance with site policy]

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-14-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: removed a link to some help
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Handbrake, without a doubt. Free, powerfull, efficient and open source.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Magic dvd ripper or any dvd converter for android. The any dvd converter for Android will convert to 1280 x 800.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

I will snatch Handbrake and have a look now. Is it easy to set the settings and format?

Also, I bookmarked http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ thank you
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

May I ask for help on handbrake. What settings do I need for Kindle Fire HD?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the Regular | High Profile preset. These files look great on a 720p tv as well as my Kindle Fire.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Villordsutch, start with the free stuff. http://handbrake.fr will do the trick. Keep your eye on http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ as they post free versions of commercial apps daily and frequently very good ripping software.
I second the recommendation of Handbrake. I don't know if things have changed, but the Windows version of Handbrake did not rip DRM'ed DVDs directly. The Mac version does. If the Windows version still cannot rip DRM'ed DVDs directly, then download the free DVD Decrypter software that will pull the files off of the DVD and onto the harddrive... from there you can use Handbrake.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-14-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: link removed from quote in accordance with site policy
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
wizwor
Wizard

DVDSmith is an opensource, free product that will circumvent the copy-protection schemes used on commercial DVDs. Once the DVD is decripted to PC, Handbrake will transcode to very portable MP4 format.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-14-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: link removed in accordance with site policy
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

How long does it normally take you peoples to rip and DVD. My reads just over an hour to 2 hours (depending on quality)?
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
wizwor
Wizard

That depends on the specs of the PC and the duration and encryption of the media. Two hours is pretty reasonable.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I also used Handbrake. I originally ripped the dvds for the iPad but they look find on the Kindle Fire HD too...so I just continue to use the iPad setting.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
How long does it normally take you peoples to rip and DVD. My reads just over an hour to 2 hours (depending on quality)?
DVD ripping is one of the few cases where having a top-end PC pays dividends. My laptop does it in roughly real time - ie 1h ripping per 1h of video; my quad core i7 desktop does it roughly 4x faster.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote