Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Your ideal eBook store?

Hi Guys.
I'm just curious about what you're ideal eBookstore would be. Don't post names of sites you like, but tell us the main parts that woudl make up your ebook store in an ideal world.
Is price the most important issue? Selection? Formats? and so on.

It will be very interesting to see if there is a common thread amongst us in what we want from an ebook store.

Personally, I want the store to be laid out very simply. I want to be able to find what I want when I want. Pricing needs to be competetive, but isnt the number one factor. I dont want any gimmicks, rebates etc, just clear pricing. I'd like to talk to fellow shoppers or read their reviews on books to help me decide what to buy. I also want excellent customer service to help me resolve any issues.
Forums like this one would be great for helping to organise bookclubs and general chat. Being able to post a detailed profile would also be great.

What do you think?
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
No DRM, No geographical restrictions, same prices for all customers, clean layout, well tagged library.

I'm not fussy or anything.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
No DRM, No geographical restrictions, same prices for all customers, clean layout, well tagged library.

Add a good internal search engine and a 1-click chek-out, and you've got it.

Unluckily, prices, DRM e and geographical restriction (the three main piracy promoters) won't never be put aside.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, good question!

I like a simple site. No flash or other newfangled things.
I should be able to search for an author, first name, last name, combination, title of the book or keywords (as a minimum)
I also need to be able to narrow my search by format and if I don't, all available formats should be visible.

The details of a book should at least have a cover, price, available formats, author, title (etc) and either a short excerpt, or even better, a preview download (one for each format).

PayPal should be available as means of payment.

The bookshelf should have a tree-structure, with at least 4 levels. You decide how that tree is built up. It should show you the date you bought the book and the format(s). Covers should be available but you should be given a choice whether you want to see them or not. And you should be able to filter your bookshelf by format, independent on how your tree is built up.

Format, pricing, geographic restrictions are generally things not dictated by the shop, I won't comment on those, though I prefer a multi-format, low pricing and no geographic restrictions, but that is logical and doesn't need repeating.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Selection and ease of navigating/searching that selection are the most important for me, there's plenty of other factors that are also very important, but if a store doesn't have what I want or I can't find it in the store then everything else is irrelevant.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forgot to mention one thing: you should be able to filter on series...
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
A good, fast internal search engine, that can also handle misspellings. I almost always do a search when I'm looking for a book online. It's crucial that it works well.

Results should be displayed in a manner that gives a good overview and crucial details such as avalable formats and price.

I should be able to customise my bookshelf, to display in a certain order - perhaps also have several views or bookshelves - then I could choose to share some of these bookshelves publicly and keep other private. Wishlists could be organised in the same manner.

Preview/excerpt download for each format is a great idea - and then ability to access the bookstore online and buy the book at the end of the sample so I can continue reading. This requires ability of online access from the device of course.

And obviously no DRM or geographic restrictions, and resonable prices.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
I'm probably not being very original with this, but in rough order of importance.

No Geographical Restrictions
~USD $10 per book (maybe $15 for a new book, $5 for a cheap one)
epub format available
Good search engine
large selection
No digital restrictions management
clean layout
little advertising
No silly 'clubs', micropay etc.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I forgot to mention one thing: you should be able to filter on series...
If they were smart you wouldn't even need to do any filtering, if somebody has shown an interest in a particular author and/or series then it only makes sense for them also try and sell you the others too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
If they were smart you wouldn't even need to do any filtering, if somebody has shown an interest in a particular author and/or series then it only makes sense for them also try and sell you the others too.
And it would be really nice to have the books in the series numbered. I've had to resort to author web site or Wikipedia to find out such things. What if I came across number two, but would like to try and start with the first instead? I can't actually think of a books store that have had this information readily available - not even for p-books.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
ok, let's give an example then:

Raymond E. Feist;

3 series, all about the same area.

Legends of the Riftwar
* Honored Enemy
* Murder in LaMut
* Jimmy the Hand

Serpentwar Saga
* Shadow of a Dark Queen
* Rise of a Merchant Prince
* Rage of a Demon King
* Shards of a Broken Crown

Darkwar Saga
* Flight of the Nighthawks
* Into a Dark Realm
* Wrath of a Mad God

All available as ebooks. So, I search for Feist and get those 10 books. How do I know which belongs at which series and where? I must go to another page (wikipedia for example) to find that, while I should be able to find that easily at the selection process at the store.

Let's say the store gives related books, how can I tell which belongs where?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
And it would be really nice to have the books in the series numbered. I've had to resort to author web site or Wikipedia to find out such things. What if I came across number two, but would like to try and start with the first instead? I can't actually think of a books store that have had this information readily available - not even for p-books.
Fictionwise has it (not for all series, unfortunately).
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
To be very easy for newbies!
No geographical shennanigins. We are starved of choice in the UK.
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
A cross link with wikipedia and fantasticfiction will do, for me.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post

The above, plus clicking on a novel that is part of a series also brings up links to all the other books available in that series or warns you if a book isn't available in eBook.

I hate finding a book I fancy reading then having to check that every other book in the series is available in ebook and that the prices are roughly the same.

Plus numbering as Ea mentioned

Plus an option to add all books in the series to your cart (then you can remove any you may already own).
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, formats, site, store