Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
fennec
fennec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Question New computer, problem with updated software...

Hi everyone, I'm hoping some folks here would be able to help me!

I just got a new computer and downloaded the Reader Library software to it. This is, obviously, the newest version and my old computer did not have the updated version.

My problem is that if I double click a book to open it, it opens in Notepad. Most of these are books not purchased from the store, but even the two books I have purchased open in Notepad.

Does anyone have a fix for this? I'm running Windows 8.
fennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I am assuming that when you say you "Reader Library" that you mean Sony's Reader for PC, and when you say you double click on a book you are doing that in Windows Explorer?

If so, you probably just need to change the file association for Reader for PC. Many ways to skin that cat in Windows 8, including those ways in earlier Windows versions. In case not familiar with those, probably the quickest is:

On the Start Page (with all the tiles), start typing Control Panel and on the left hand side of the screen options will pop up, one of which will be Control Panel. Click it to start Control Panel and find "Default Programs" and open it. Select "Set your default programs" and scroll down to Reader for PC and select whichever of the two options at the bottom of the page that you want and follow your nose.

If for some reason Reader for PC does not show up in the above, then as before after opening "Default Programs" select "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" instead and scroll down to select each of the file extensions you want Reader to open by default (.epub, etc.), click "change program..." and select Reader for PC.

If you didn't mean Sony's Reader for PC then just do the same but for whatever program it is that you are using.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
fennec
fennec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I do mean Sony's Reader for PC, thanks.

I've tried doing that, and now books won't open at all, no matter what method I use to try and open them.
fennec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What format are the books?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
On previous versions of windows, you would just right click the book icon, go down to "open with" then browse to the program you wanted to open that type of file.

Haven't a clue about the crazy Windows 8.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
On previous versions of windows, you would just right click the book icon, go down to "open with" then browse to the program you wanted to open that type of file.

Haven't a clue about the crazy Windows 8.
Windows 8 does that exactly the same as "crazy" Win 7 did .