Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Question 302 - Not always seeing memory card

My 302, fairly new, has suddenly decided that when I turn it on, it won't see the extra memory card. This is on the device itself and via USB. Taking it in and out registers the hourglass, then usually nothing. Sometimes it works. The card is clean, and works in my card reader, camera etc. Sometimes re-seating the card or turning the device on and off works and they reappear....but usually not. This has been happening since yesterday.

I'm on 15.2 (not sure which incarnation of it), and until now, haven't had much trouble.

Any suggestions? Is this a firmware issue? A hardware issue? A setting issue? I have to admit, if I have to send this device back for repair (the first one I received was defective), frustration and rage may occur. :/
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I have the same problem. Resetting the reader via the reset switch right next to the battery (use the stylus) brings it back to life.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Thanks I'll try that tonight - how long does that usually last?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
Thanks I'll try that tonight - how long does that usually last?
Seconds. It's just a "soft reset", so after pushing the button it should load again and hopefully see your extra card.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Any suggestions?
When you have problems with an SD card, always use the "canonical" formatter, that was made as reference design by the SD association - a governing body over SD card standard. Many programs (including Windows and some devices) do not always format cards strictly according to the standard.

I have solved a few mysterious problems with cards, where everything else failed, using this program.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru

It seems to be working. Any idea what causes it? How likely is it to reappear. I do appreciate that the reset hole is large enough for a variety of objects. The one on my ebookwise was small enough that I could only use a .5mm mechanical pencil lead (the metal tips are too big) or a paperclip, neither of which I usually had with me when it went out (I believe overheating in sun caused it to shutdown, as it always happened when it had been sitting in the car on the seat).
Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The battery compartiment leaves space for a paperclip to be stuck there. I took the hint, though thankfully the occasions in which I have to use it are rare (it tends to reboot, not hang).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
guyanonymous
Guru

I was very pleased to notice that the tip of the stylus on the 302 fits the reset-button hole. Yay for good design.

I was also pleased to find this resetting worked every time it stopped seeing the card....about once a day. Until today.

Now it resets (of course), but the card remains invisible. And it keeps doing it. For the last 30 minutes.

The green light flashes when the card is manually removed. When reinserted it does the same as it tries to read a card (little timer and all) and shows nothing.

Any more ideas?

And does anyone know who to contact in Canada for repairs?

This is trying a 2nd card as well, so it's the reader, not the card itself.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru

Grr....(but yay because I can read for a bit)...it just now flashed (after not touching it for 5 minutes) and displayed the books last opened and is working again.

I feel a kinship to Colonel George Taylor when he finally realizes he's been on Earth all along (from the original Planet of the Apes movie).
Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
guyanonymous
Guru

I've not yet sent in my device for service, hoping the 15.3 update (if it ever arrives) will help me out.

As of late, it struck me that the only times this has occurred are a) when the battery is low (3/5 bars or lower) and/or the device may have been sitting in a cool room for a while.

Is is possible that it is just not able to draw enough juice at that time to power the card reader? If so, would this be a software issue or hardware (e.g., bad battery)?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Grr....(but yay because I can read for a bit)...it just now flashed (after not touching it for 5 minutes) and displayed the books last opened and is working again.
This is the kind of behaviour you see on computers that are doing filesystem checks while booting up. Maybe that's what's happening with your memory card. If this is the case, it would be nice if some kind of indication came up while it was happening.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #12
guyanonymous
Guru

I wondered about that before, but it is such an intermittent process that only I seem to experience.

If this is the case, an indicator would be nice - or an explanation of when and why it happens.