Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #1
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
thumbnails and sorting

I have a jailbroken KV. I use Calibre to transfer books.

I wish to have my books show up as "books," retain the thumbnail cover and enable sharing of contents.

when I convert my books to azw3, I get this, however when I enable sharing, I loose the cover, and the book only shows up under "all items"

is there a way to have my cake and eat it too? I have root on the device, so I can't believe the task isn't possible.
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Firmware version number please.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

Old 08-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the 'enable sharing' you mention a feature of Calibre or of the Kindle?

You have to help me a bit here, I don't recall an 'enable sharing' in 5.6.5
Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

sorry. yes, when I convert in Calibre, there is an option to enable sharing of contents over social media.

when I convert to azw3 *without* that being ticked, I get books showing up under "books" and I get the thumbnail cover. good.

however, if I convert to azw3 with "sharing" ticked, the covers fail to appear.

thank you, btw, for making this jailbreak possible. I've been waiting months for this and nearly cracked open the case for a serial jailbreak.
Advert
Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

You are more likely to get help in the appropriate forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
Old 08-15-2016, 01:48 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Technically, this is an issue regarding Amazon's device and its handling of Kindle format ebooks according to cdetype. So it could belong in the Kindle forums as well even though calibre is the tool most often used to manipulate MOBI/AZW3 cdetypes.

There is a calibre FAQ about this: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...droid-ipad-etc
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:37 AM   #8
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

The information in the link is incomplete; I have read it many times in my struggle. If this sounds trivial, my sincere OCD has driven me to figure this out through trial and error.

Converting from any format to azw3 will get: books filed under "books" and a thumbnail cover so long as the cover is of a high enough resolution to meet the device requirements (most Calibre generated covers seem to be).

However, enabling the social media sharing during the conversion removes the thumbnail view (oddly this is the inverse of what occurs with a mobi conversion??).

It's a Calibre conversion issue... it's a Kindle issue... I brought up the matter here because having recently jailbroken the device, I wanted to dig deeper into fine tuning the way the Kindle sorts these things. When I download from my COPS server (all azw3), I get mixed results. I have used ExtractCoverTumbs.py in the past to fix this at the desktop level. Could there maybe be a way to trigger the script on the device when for instance, a file is downloaded from a server and no thumbnail is supplied either by USB or the Amazon servers?
Old 08-15-2016, 04:26 AM   #9
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

One last note, I just discovered this. If you convert to azw3, and don't enable sharing of contents, yet supply a valid ASIN and apply the ASIN fix via the Quality Check Plugin, you actually get the content sharing back, along with thumbnails, and the proper "books" sorting. That's the grail. I'll take this over the the Calibre forums.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:57 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelesshunter View Post
- - - -
Could there maybe be a way to trigger the script on the device when for instance, a file is downloaded from a server and no thumbnail is supplied either by USB or the Amazon servers?
? ? ? ?
Isn't the cover of the book AND its thumbnail a part of the book in azw3 format?

The custom screensaver add-in takes the cover from a book and re-sizes it into a screensaver -
Perhaps you will need a modification of that which takes the cover from a book and re-sizes it into a thumbnail.

Have you examined the actual book(s) that are giving you the trouble to see if the conversion process left the cover in the book?
Yes, there is a tool for that, I forget its name.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #11
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian

this probably all seems so silly. I used a Kobo for years before coming to own this Kindle. and nothing has made sense since. I could take or leave the grid-view covers. I never use nor intend to use the social media functions, and Whispersync has no appeal; the book/doc sorting however is important as I use the device to back up important papers I keep with me. the fixation on all of this stems from not understanding why these hurdles need even be addressed, and feeling that maybe I must be missing something if I can't make it "all work." if the device can do all of these things, why the need for voodoo and incantations to make it happen? I remember why, because simplicity would simply hit Amazon in the wallet. but I digress. no, I don't know why format conversion with one feature enabled kills the functionality of another, unrelated, feature of the device/file, and I have extensively tested the processes with fresh files, clean devices, and every combination of parameters I could cook up.

anyway, I'm happy with the equation that seems to work so far. I just want to read books and play with the tech to what extent I know how. this is a good forum. keep at it.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Could you please fix your keyboard's 'enter' key ?
It isn't inserting any line breaks.

These flow of consciousness, mind dump, blobs of letters are very hard to read.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It really is very simple, just like the calibre FAQ says.

The Kindle prefers to download cover thumbnails from Amazon's servers, rather than extracting them from the books themselves.
Any book with an ASIN and/or cdetype=EBOK is assumed to come from Amazon. Only PDOCs get the cover thumbnail extracted from the book.

"sharing enabled" is a user-friendly way of describing the effects of complicated concepts like "the exth 501 field (cdetype) is set to EBOK and the exth 113 (asin) field is empty". Because most people don't want to know what an "ASIN" is.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:06 AM   #14
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Ah, eschwartz, so that is why the kindle books I de-drmed and put on a new kindle had no covers, until I turned off airplane mode.
That makes sense (although, I don't think it's a good idea!)
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What @eschwartz said .

And as for the inconsistencies between what Calibre does by default and the the "no sharing + ASIN fix" combo, they lie in the fact that Calibre uses a "fake" uuid, while you're expected to use a valid ASIN for the fix (i.e., social media sharing *requires* a valid ASIN pointing to the right book).

I seem to recall that Calibre *might* try to use an existing ASIN if it's set properly in the (Calibre) metadata, which may save you a step, but I might very well have been dreaming that one up .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, voyage