Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
when the Kindle is turned off, there's a faint after image of the last screensaver

when the Kindle is turned off, there's a faint after image of the last screensaver displayed on the screen....

for example, there was a Special Offers screensaver of a child(think it was the Blu-ray deal?) If I hold the power slidde to turn the Kindle completely off, there's a very faint image of the screensaver.... it doesn't go away even after a couple of hours... however, if I turn the kind back on, it goes away...

is this normal?
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Well my Kindle just happen to be sitting next to me and had the same screensaver so I turned it off. I don't see a thing (tried direct sunlight and kitchen light).
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, it is normal.

.... and there's really no reason for you to shut the Kindle completely off, unless you don't intend to use it for a week or more.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's normal. It's called "ghosting" and is inherent in eInk screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Yes, it is normal.

.... and there's really no reason for you to shut the Kindle completely off, unless you don't intend to use it for a week or more.
All holding the switch for a few seconds does is put the Kindle in sleep mode with a blank screen instead of a picture.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1MY2ISK92QX3H
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
Yes, it's normal.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
do alt + "." (I hold alt, then press the "."); it does a double refresh, eliminating ghosting
do alt + "g"; it does a simple refresh, eliminating ghosting
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
All holding the switch for a few seconds does is put the Kindle in sleep mode with a blank screen instead of a picture.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x1MY2ISK92QX3H
The linked post is poorly worded. If you hold the slider switch for several seconds, and the screen blanks out, the Kindle is off.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The linked post is poorly worded. If you hold the slider switch for several seconds, and the screen blanks out, the Kindle is off.
It could have been better written, but it makes a compelling case that holding the slider switch for several seconds only puts the Kindle to sleep and does not shut it off.

I had always believed that doing the above would turn the Kindle off, but I had no interest in it. But now I almost never read on my K2, but read on my KDXG or PB360 instead. But I want to keep the K2 as a backup and for places where I have wireless coverage from Sprint but not from the Evil Empire. So I have been keeping the K2 "off", but the battery has been draining just as fast as when it is "sleeping".

The above post led me to check. Both my K2 and KDXG wake up just as fast from "off" as "sleep". That is extremely unlikely, otherwise resets would be about the same speed.

I have not looked into ";dumpMessages", whatever that is, but that part is consistent with the Kindle going into a sleep mode as are the fast turn on and continued battery drain at the sleep rate.

Amazon might claim that holding the slide switch a few seconds turns the Kindle off, but that is not consistent with the facts. If they expect credibility on that claim, they have some explaining to do. Maybe that used to happen and a firmware update changed things.

I also do not have direct experience with K1, early KDX, or K3. Maybe those can be turned off as described. I am very confident that the K2 and KDXG can not.

Last edited by j.p.s; 08-04-2011 at 07:46 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is no "off." On any of the Kindle models. Holding the power slider for a few seconds just turns the screen off.

If you could truly power down the device, you'd have to go through that boot process every time you turned it on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote