Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Book Order

When you first discover an author that already has a bunch of non-serial books, how do you decide which books to read first or next? Do you go by publish date, popularity, of just by which blurb seems the most interesting? Something else entirely?

I stumbled over a book by Kristin Hannah and I see she already has a good size list of books and I'm wondering if I should start with the one that caught my attention (Magic Hour: A Novel), one that is popular when I google her (Firefly Lane), or try to determine which one of the others was the first one written and start there.

I'll figure something out -- leaning toward getting both of those books above since both blurbs caught my attention -- but it started me wondering what other people do when they are in a similar situation.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
When you read a non series novels like you are contemplating it makes little difference which one you read first. However I typically like to back in to the books that the author has written, read the last one first and work my way backwards. I do this becuase I find that the author's writting style tends to evolve over time and gets better as time goes on. Hence the latter ones tend to be better than the older ones, thus I tend to back into them. I would typically pick up Winter Garden first.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
bluezhift
bluezhift began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I would tend to go to the older ones first unless the one I just finished is part of a series. In that case I'll continue and finish the current series before visiting the older works.
bluezhift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If it is non serialized, I just go with what ever interests me the most. Why should what everyone else likes effect what I start with, or even like? We all have different tastes, and sometimes an authors earlier works are better than their "popular" stuff.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I had this problem (in extremis) when I approached Shakespeare. Eventually, I just went with what seemed the most gripping at the time (the Tragedies).

Series of books are different, obviously.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

when I bought all my paperbacks at thrift shops, used book stores, yard/garage sales or wherever I found them I never had the option of deciding the order, even with a series. Part of me thinks that was a good thing and took a lot of the pressure off reading for me. Now I feel if I can't find the ebook version of a series I will skip whatever can be read. In the past with paperbacks I didn't give it a second thought. Weird.

I say just pick a title and go don't think about it. Print the list and throw a dart, or spitball, at the list, where it sticks that is the book you read.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I find that the author's writting style tends to evolve over time and gets better as time goes on. Hence the latter ones tend to be better than the older ones,
Robert A. Heinlein ? L. Ron Hubbard ?

I tend to go for whatever sounds interesting at the time I'm looking for something to read.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Read whatever interests me most, in that order.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Read whatever interests me most, in that order.
good call...if ya like it just read it already!! haha
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I organize them on my reader in the order they were written or published. But I might read them in any order.

Heinlein was mentioned. I have them ordered by order written, but read them as they move me.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
First thing I do with a new author is go to google, look up a bibliography, so I can see which one to start with, etc.

While I'm there I copy, paste into a .rtf file, and save it with the authors name, and load it onto my Jetbook. That way when I don't remember which book follows which I can go look quickly.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Thanks for all the replies! There is so much information available immediately when I'm contemplating a new ebook, that sometimes I get caught up in it and forget to just concentrate on the books themselves.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote