Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
SalShearer
Avid Reader
SalShearer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Device Not Recognized

Hi. I'm in need of some serious help. I have a Sony PRS-505, and it used to work fine when I connected it to my computer. I let the battery drain, because I had a bunch of hardcovers from Christmas to read, and I wasn't using it. I plugged it in to charge and got a Device Not Recognized error. So I bought an AC charger and charged it up with that, hoping it would solve the problem. It charged up just fine, and I can use it, but when I plug it in via USB I get the Device Not Recognized error again.

It's fully charged. I've tried soft booting it. I've tried all the USB ports on my computer, front and back. I tried on my laptop. No matter what I do, I get the Device Not Recognized error.

I have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions? Please? I'm I going to have to lose all my books to hard reboot?

Edited to Add:

So, I went ahead and did a hard reboot. It wiped everything, but didn't solve the problem. So now I have a completely useless ereader. I could just cry.

Last edited by SalShearer; 05-31-2010 at 07:58 PM.
SalShearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Sorry to hear that you have problems with your PRS-505. Did you try another USB wire already?
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
sonyaddict
sonyaddict began at the beginning.

Device: prs300
You should try doing this steps :

Uninstall the USB HUB in Your PC
Reset The Reader
Uninstall the PRS drivers
Try different USB ports

Hope it Works!
sonyaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"Device not recognized" has been, in my experience, a problem with USB drivers and/or ports. In one case, it was because I plugged it into an unpowered hub -- it really wants a powered USB 2.0 hub. But since you've tried it in your laptop as well, and gotten the same results, you may have a device problem.

Blow the dust out of the Reader's USB connector with some canned air.
Try a different USB cable (it's possible for them to go bad).
Try yet another computer (USB can be weird, especially if it's an old-ish laptop).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote