Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
GustavoB
Enthusiast
GustavoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
How can i use the calibre server to show my book lists to someone in the internet?

How can I use the calibre server to show my book lists to someone in the internet? I could only use it to show the books to members of my LAN.

Any tips?
GustavoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoB View Post
How can I use the calibre server to show my book lists to someone in the internet? I could only use it to show the books to members of my LAN.

Any tips?
You would need to configure DSL Modem-router to port forward to your PC.

The fact you don't know this also suggests that you don't know the risks (even if done correctly. there are still risks, just fewer) that exists when exposing a internal port to access from outside.
How the setting is done depends on your Modem Model (the manufacturer or your ISP may have guides)

You need to configure your DHCP or PC so that it always gets the sam internal IP

You then configure the Router to forward requests for the port(ex 8080) to the IP (and port 8080) that the PC gets

Then you need a way to be able to tell the other party the Public (WAN side IP).
for one time, very casual usage you can use a internet tools like IPCHICKEN.com that reports you CURRENT IP (it changes periodically for most people). you tell the person to use <that IP>:8080 in the browser

If this is to be used regularly, you can get a Static IP ( usually costs extra $ monthly) or subscribe to a service like dyndns.org (smaller yearly fee than ISP's charge)

The alternat is to use a service like GotoMyPC and let the user 'drive' your PC. This requires TRUST as they are using your PC just like you do, just from remote
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
GustavoB
Enthusiast
GustavoB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You would need to configure DSL Modem-router to port forward to your PC.

The fact you don't know this also suggests that you don't know the risks (even if done correctly. there are still risks, just fewer) that exists when exposing a internal port to access from outside.
How the setting is done depends on your Modem Model (the manufacturer or your ISP may have guides)

You need to configure your DHCP or PC so that it always gets the sam internal IP

You then configure the Router to forward requests for the port(ex 8080) to the IP (and port 8080) that the PC gets

Then you need a way to be able to tell the other party the Public (WAN side IP).
for one time, very casual usage you can use a internet tools like IPCHICKEN.com that reports you CURRENT IP (it changes periodically for most people). you tell the person to use <that IP>:8080 in the browser

If this is to be used regularly, you can get a Static IP ( usually costs extra $ monthly) or subscribe to a service like dyndns.org (smaller yearly fee than ISP's charge)

The alternat is to use a service like GotoMyPC and let the user 'drive' your PC. This requires TRUST as they are using your PC just like you do, just from remote
It's just a port forwarding? Nice. Any advice on these risks?
GustavoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoB View Post
It's just a port forwarding? Nice. Any advice on these risks?
Keep it as tight (limit other port exposure).
Put time restrictions if your router supports that (Netgear VPN routers do) to give even less time to hackers

Use WAN client IP range restrictions , again if available and your users have a standard location they work from.

And keep your A/V up to date (even thought no files are supposed to be uploadable)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote