Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Apple might be facing an EU antitrust probe

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2010...rust-rules.htm

"[...] Kroes specifically named Apple's App Store as an example of a closed environment.
The comments come against the background of a massive EU initiative called the Digital Agenda, which among many items aims to redefine the ways in which companies can fall foul of antitrust rules. When considering abuse of a market position, the Agenda wants to change the standard from 'dominant' to 'significant' place in a sector. The document states: "Since not all pervasive technologies are based on standards the benefits of interoperability risk being lost in such areas. The Commission will examine the feasibility of measures that could lead significant market players to license interoperability information while at the same time promoting innovation and competition."

Kroes explained: "We need to make sure that significant market players cannot just choose to deny interoperability with their product. This is particularly important in cases where standards don't exist... This is not just about Microsoft or any big company like Apple, IBM or Intel. The main challenge is that consumers need choice when it comes to software or hardware products." Under these rules, Apple could face investigation into its barring of third party development suites, such as Adobe Flash, an issue already reportedly being examined by the US Fair Trade Commission.

Some analysts believe that Apple could be forced to allow developers to write apps without using Xcode or going through the vendor's approval process. [...]"

In my opinion, it is about time!

Cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I agree it's about time. Maybe it will be the start of multiple investigations into multiple vendors with closed systems.

BTW, kaas, love your photo. Seems to be a younger version of mine
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
Some analysts believe that Apple could be forced to allow developers to write apps without using Xcode or going through the vendor's approval process. [...]"

In my opinion, it is about time!
I must respectfully disagree - I think that would be an extremely bad thing. When you buy an App from the App Store you know it's "safe" - that it doesn't contain malware, and that it will at least do vaguely what it claims to. In another thread, someone recently compared that to the "open" Android store, where you can have no trust that an App is what it claims to be, and where most apps appear to be unfinished.

The App Store is one of the real strengths of Apple, and a real benefit for the consumer, in my view.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree - I think that would be an extremely bad thing. When you buy an App from the App Store you know it's "safe" - that it doesn't contain malware, and that it will at least do vaguely what it claims to. In another thread, someone recently compared that to the "open" Android store, where you can have no trust that an App is what it claims to be, and where most apps appear to be unfinished.

The App Store is one of the real strengths of Apple, and a real benefit for the consumer, in my view.
After the events of the last few days, I would not call anything within Apple's closed ecosystem 'safe'.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
After the events of the last few days, I would not call anything within Apple's closed ecosystem 'safe'.
I think personally it's entirely too early to tell that. We really don't know what - if anything - has gone wrong. Could well be no more than people having insecure passwords, and that could apply equally to any on-line store.
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Harry,

while I do agree with you that the App Store is a good thing in itself because of its safety and ease of use, Apple could allow an independant "Indie Store" where you would install apps at your own risk and loose your "warranty for a proper functioning os and software (mind you, not hardware!)"- that means if you brick your phone, you have to fix it yourself or pay Apple to fix it for you. Manage access to the "Indie Store" via parental controls, and your kids should be safe (or as safe as they will be untill they jailbreak the phone). Add a legal disclaimer and most people would not buy from the other store, except for those who really want to.
If you are using a mac or pc at home, you will know about freedom of choice and personal responsibility as you can install any program you wish- including malware...

cheers,

kaas

p.s.:@rhadin --> she is 9 years old and still sweet as a puppy

Last edited by kaas; 07-05-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Could well be no more than people having insecure passwords, and that could apply equally to any on-line store.
Even if it would be the case: Every good & secure online-store will prevent it's customers from using weak passwords.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
I think personally it's entirely too early to tell that. We really don't know what - if anything - has gone wrong. Could well be no more than people having insecure passwords, and that could apply equally to any on-line store.
There are rumours floating about that it wasn't passwords that were comprimised, weak or otherwise, but some kind of hack on the store itself.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
kaas
Muncher of ebooks

Honestly, I do belive that at some point people have to take responsibility for themselves. If they want to use insecure passwords, that is their choice and they should bear the consequence. I very strongly belive in common sense!

cheers,

kaas
Old 07-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
There are rumours floating about that it wasn't passwords that were comprimised, weak or otherwise, but some kind of hack on the store itself.
I've read all sorts of things, ranging from "the whole thing is a figment of someone's imagination" through to "Apple's security system has been totally hacked". I'm sure that reality will prove to lie somewhere in between, which is why personally I'd prefer to wait and learn the facts before assigning blame. But that's just me . In the mean time, I have taken the precaution of removing my credit card from the App store account.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I must respectfully disagree - I think that would be an extremely bad thing. When you buy an App from the App Store you know it's "safe" - that it doesn't contain malware,
How can you now that? I do now see how it is easier to detect malware for an Apple app as for any other app (Android or Maemo or ...).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
p.s.:@rhadin --> she is 9 years old and still sweet as a puppy
Ours is soon to be 11 years old and also sweet as a puppy. Sadly, we had to euthanize our 15-year-old cocker, who was also a sweetheart, a few weeks ago.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Even if it would be the case: Every good & secure online-store will prevent it's customers from using weak passwords.
So which do?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are lots of rumours floating around, but no reason to believe any of them.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
How can you now that? I do now see how it is easier to detect malware for an Apple app as for any other app (Android or Maemo or ...).
Apple vet each app because it is allowed into the App store.
This is also viewed as a disadvantage, as it slows down app updates and means Apple can easily block apps they don't want, for changeable reasons.