Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Success with library books and Sony software on 505

I used to have Adobe Digital Editions and hated it. It kept trying to change my system preferences so it was the default reader for everything even though I kept saying I didn't want that. With the new Sony software for Mac, I wanted to try library books again, but did not want to reinstall ADE. So I did some experimenting tonight and was delighted to find I didn't have to.

My equipment:

- A Sony 505
- Sony software for Mac

Important note:

As I learned when I started downloading the Sony freebies, you need to authorize your reader to your Sony account. I had assumed that since I was running the software and my device was plugged in and the software recognized it, that this was done. I was mistaken. Before you can transfer library books or Sony content, you need to go into your preferences of your Sony account (using the software) and authorize your reader.

So, with that said...

What I did today

I went to my library's homepage
There was a link for 'download digital books and media' which I clicked
It took me to the Overdrive storefront for my library

I browsed and added books (there were about 300 in PDF and epub)
I added all interesting books to my wishlist
Went into 'my account' picked two from wishlist, added to cart
Did the checkout and downloaded the books

The books downloaded as a URL on the desktop
Clicking the URLs launches the Sony software and downloads the books into it
I plugged in the reader, it showed up on my sidebar
I dragged the first book over
I was prompted for 'use adobe key to read library books' and clicked yes
This prompt did not appear when I dragged the second book

To make sure everything was running smoothly, I quit the Sony software and launched Calibre. My reader was detected, all content was there and I could still add/remove/manage my regular books.

When I unplugged the reader, the books were there, looked good and everything. There was a little number beside them showing how many days I have left.

If I had not once had ADE on this machine and used it to generate the key the Sony library asked for, I am not sure whether this would have worked, so you may need to download ADE that one time. But if you hate it like me, you can delete it after a test run where you use it once to generate the code. The Sony software worked fine without ADE being on the machine, and it did not mess up my usual system in Calibre.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oops, sorry, meant to post in 505 forum
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Oops, sorry, meant to post in 505 forum
That's okay. This thread belongs here just as much as there.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I moved it but left a redirect (lasting for a week), so that's the best of both worlds.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard

Thank you! I hope people find it helpful. I was so confused about what software I needed to do what! I am currently using Calibre to manage most of my books, and using the Sony software for freebies and library books.

FYI: If you right-click (or ctrl-click on a Mac) on the library book in the Sony software, you can return it just as you could wtih ADE.
Advert