Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
QU2C371FcY
Enthusiast
QU2C371FcY began at the beginning.

Device: none
What should I convert a PDF e-book to in order to make it readable on the kindle dx?

I have a PDF eboobk, but on some pages which contain images, I get an error saying "some elements on this page could not be displayed".

I tried converting it to mobi, but it destroyed my formatting. Is there anything I can do? Like covert to a better format, or maybe a dumbed down PDF?
QU2C371FcY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
In this case, I think you're stuck with what you have.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
PDF's aren't the best items for converting, because they employ a special sort of formatting that cannot be converted. Only the most rudimentary forms of PDF can be converted.

Since converting to Mobi yields unsatisfactory results, you will have to just use the PDF file. However, there are some tools out there, such as Briss, that can help you by cropping the margin, thus giving you more reading space.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
sil
sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Not ideal, but you could try looking for a utility that can read the PDf and export it to rendered images and treat it like a comic book. I think ImageMagick will do this.

Also in case the original PDF is a bit flaky or its using unrealistically large images shrunken down which might exceed the memory of the Kindle to display you could try using Acrobat (NOT Acrobat Reader) to optimise for web and print it (not save) back to a new PDF file. Not all PDFs are authored correctly or they are made for high resolution print use and not screen use.
sil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by QU2C371FcY View Post
Is there anything I can do? Like covert to a better format, or maybe a dumbed down PDF?
If the only issue is that some pages cannot be displayed you can install some PDF printer driver on your computer (e.g. PDF Creator) and then "print" this PDF as images to another PDF file.

The resulting file may be huge but DX should have no problem in displaying it.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert