Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
$1 on Apple's App Store is 89¢ on Kindle and 23¢ on Android

from CNNMoney...

Quote:
"As markets mature, rational economic behavior emerges," he adds dryly. "Based on revenue potential, we expect to see increasing numbers of developers support Amazon. We also believe that companies such as Samsung, the leading Android-supporting OEM, could also consider emulating Amazon's move to fork Android. "
This is a month old, but I only stumbled upon it today using Pulse on my Fire. I searched MR but found nothing, so I figured I'd share.

What I find interesting is that Amazon is generating revenue at a rate that exceeds its market share -- forget total sold units. This is kind of a big deal after only three months in the market.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
What I find interesting is that Amazon is generating revenue at a rate that exceeds its market share -- forget total sold units. This is kind of a big deal after only three months in the market.
I don't think that's what's going on, although I had to go to the Flurry site to be sure. These numbers are for revenue per user, not revenue per app. In other words, the average Amazon purchaser of a particular app will spend 89% of what the average Apple purchaser of the same app does. This number doesn't depend on market share - it would apply if Amazon users were 10% of the market or 50% of the market.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
from CNNMoney...

This is a month old, but I only stumbled upon it today using Pulse on my Fire. I searched MR but found nothing, so I figured I'd share.

I agree but am puzzled.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
These numbers are for revenue per user, not revenue per app. In other words, the average Amazon purchaser of a particular app will spend 89% of what the average Apple purchaser of the same app does.
I see what you're saying. I wonder if this includes revenue from free apps and books. Doesn't Amazon pay the seller even if the sale is compted? Still surprising to see buyers of the inexpensive device spending so much.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Still surprising to see buyers of the inexpensive device spending so much.
No, it's not surprising to see iPxx and FIRE owners spending more than other gadget buyers because their devices are designed and marketed as content consumption devices, not as computers or hobbyist platforms.
People who are interested in using tablets for something else are better served with other products and they properly go elsewhere.
What the report is saying is that Amazon designed and marketed FIRE to appeal to exactly the people they wanted to reach.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
I see what you're saying. I wonder if this includes revenue from free apps and books. Doesn't Amazon pay the seller even if the sale is compted? Still surprising to see buyers of the inexpensive device spending so much.
Apparently they looked at a group of identical apps which cost the same on each platform, and then looked at the in-app purchases from those apps. So it looks like they didn't include free apps or books. It would be interesting to know exactly which apps they chose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No, it's not surprising to see iPxx and FIRE owners spending more than other gadget buyers because their devices are designed and marketed as content consumption devices, not as computers or hobbyist platforms.
And Android tablets are marketed differently?
Quote:
People who are interested in using tablets for something else are better served with other products and they properly go elsewhere.
Nice spin, but wrong. People who are interested in using tablets for work use iPads.
Quote:
What the report is saying is that Amazon designed and marketed FIRE to appeal to exactly the people they wanted to reach.
Or Android users don't have any money.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
How many Android tablets have out-of-the-box access to music stores, video stores, or ebookstores? iPxxx and FIRE do.
It wasn't until recently that Google got serious enough about content sales to restructure their Android store around content and most Android tablets not only don't come with Google store access, they need hacking to install the app.

People who buy Android tablets are more interested in hardware features or very low prices. Certainly the FIRE is no great example of fancy hardware features. But if you look at FIRE marketing, what do you see? Prime videos, Prime ebooks, Kindle books, Amazon MP3s. Look at the iPad and you see iTunes all over.

Both platforms are primarily storefronts looking to sell content and consumers buy them to do exactly that.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Chefs being inventive ?

I suppose there's not even a remote possibility of the bubbling echo of tomes being simmered, is there ?

Or, as we say here in the vernacular, books being cooked ?

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #9
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Apparently they looked at a group of identical apps which cost the same on each platform, and then looked at the in-app purchases from those apps. So it looks like they didn't include free apps or books. It would be interesting to know exactly which apps they chose.
Games? Power Ups + Boosters, etc... While the apps discussed in the CNN article were not free it seems one of the best ways to make cash is via the "Freemium" path.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/19/te...ucts.html?_r=1
Quote:
And Android tablets are marketed differently?

Nice spin, but wrong. People who are interested in using tablets for work use iPads.

Or Android users don't have any money.
Really? Ipads are the only option?
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The apps need merely be the "same price" and "free" could be that same price. The catch was that "in app purchases" be a significant driver of the apps revenue...which it certainly is for freemium apps.

It's not at all surprising that Apple and Amazon customers purchase more. Google has promoted the free internet culture. Google is interested in eyes...for selling advertising. Apple and Amazon cultivate customers who buy things.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It's not at all surprising that Apple and Amazon customers purchase more. Google has promoted the free internet culture. Google is interested in eyes...for selling advertising. Apple and Amazon cultivate customers who buy things.
I use all three appstores and only buy the free apps. If it costs money, I don't need it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
their devices are designed and marketed as content consumption devices
not really anymore. see apps hilighted here:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/ipad-at-work/
http://www.apple.com/ipad/from-the-a...apps-by-apple/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I use all three appstores and only buy the free apps. If it costs money, I don't need it.
even very top quality apps? get what you pay for they say.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
even very top quality apps? get what you pay for they say.
Why do I need these "top quality apps"? I only use apps for information and entertainment.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why do I need these "top quality apps"? I only use apps for information and entertainment.
Not to talk long but i like top quality entertainment. no spam when can eat ribeye. no mcdonalds when can have quality dinner with good service.

Life is too short. but To each their own.