Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
skidawayme
skidawayme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Kindle Question

Hi:

Wondering of anyone can help me out with 2 Kindle questions and a general Calibre question.

I've been dragging books from the My Kindle Content folder to Calibre. The first problem I have is that only a few of the books I've downloaded to K4PC are even showing in the folder. Is there another location that has the other books?

2nd, there are no names on the files in My Kindle Content. This makes it virtually impossible to know which ones I've already downloaded. I have no choice but to download them all again and then get rid of the entries that are less that .1 in size. I'm sure there's a better and less time consuming way to do all this.

My other question is how do I navigate to Device View?

Many thanks,
Jane
skidawayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawayme View Post
Hi:

Wondering of anyone can help me out with 2 Kindle questions and a general Calibre question.

I've been dragging books from the My Kindle Content folder to Calibre. The first problem I have is that only a few of the books I've downloaded to K4PC are even showing in the folder. Is there another location that has the other books?

2nd, there are no names on the files in My Kindle Content. This makes it virtually impossible to know which ones I've already downloaded. I have no choice but to download them all again and then get rid of the entries that are less that .1 in size. I'm sure there's a better and less time consuming way to do all this.

My other question is how do I navigate to Device View?

Many thanks,
Jane
Connect the K to the Caliber PC
When the task wheel is done spinning
switch to the device storage (it is on the toolbar when a device is connected)
Books that are in Calibre have Tick marks

Entering

inlibrary:false

in the search bar should so only those without ticks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
My pet method for dealing with the cryptic filenames in Kindle4PC is to download the books one at a time and then viewing the My Kindle Content folder sorted by date. I can then tell which is the new download.

Kindle4PC only uses one folder, but you can specify which folder to use in Tools/Options on the Content panel. If you've changed this you may have some books in the default location left over from when the app was installed while your new books are in the new location. Go to the Content panel in Options and check what the library path is set to.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
skidawayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Connect the K to the Caliber PC
When the task wheel is done spinning
switch to the device storage (it is on the toolbar when a device is connected)
Books that are in Calibre have Tick marks

Entering

in the search bar should so only those without ticks
Thanks. I connected the device and found the list.

Don't quite understand what this means:
in the search bar should so only those without ticks[/QUOTE]

I still have the problem of only a few books showing up. Even those I downloaded today are on my Kindle but not in the My Kindle Collection and not on the Calibre list -- and that's after I clicked "Send to Device -- Main."

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jane
Old 03-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
skidawayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
My pet method for dealing with the cryptic filenames in Kindle4PC is to download the books one at a time and then viewing the My Kindle Content folder sorted by date. I can then tell which is the new download.

Kindle4PC only uses one folder, but you can specify which folder to use in Tools/Options on the Content panel. If you've changed this you may have some books in the default location left over from when the app was installed while your new books are in the new location. Go to the Content panel in Options and check what the library path is set to.
Thanks for the info. I still have the problem of only a few books showing up. Even those I downloaded today are on my Kindle but not in the My Kindle Collection and not on the Calibre list -- and that's after I clicked "Send to Device -- Main."

Any idea how to see the books somewhere and import them to Calibre?

Thanks,
Jane
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I still have the problem of only a few books showing up. Even those I downloaded today are on my Kindle but not in the My Kindle Collection and not on the Calibre list -- and that's after I clicked "Send to Device -- Main."
Ebooks will by default show up as "archived" under K4PC. These are ebooks that can be downloaded to K4PC, but they have not yet been downloaded. The easiest way to get them may be to select them from the "Archived Items" list in K4PC. However, they are not sorted by purchase date and if you have many ebooks, search may be the best way to find the one you want. Another way is to go to your "Manage my Kindle" page at Amazon, choose an ebook and then Actions -> Deliver to my -> K4PC. Then sync your K4PC. The Manage my Kindle page is sorted by purchase date.

As dwig said, if you sort the My Kindle Content folder by Date Modified it is typically obvious which titles to import to Calibre.

If you select Downloaded Items in K4PC, these are the ebooks that are actually in the My Kindle Content folder and these can be sorted "By Most Recent". This is similar to "Date Modified" when you look in the folder, except that K4PC will move old ebooks that you recently read to the top of the list.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
skidawayme

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Ebooks will by default show up as "archived" under K4PC. These are ebooks that can be downloaded to K4PC, but they have not yet been downloaded. The easiest way to get them may be to select them from the "Archived Items" list in K4PC. However, they are not sorted by purchase date and if you have many ebooks, search may be the best way to find the one you want. Another way is to go to your "Manage my Kindle" page at Amazon, choose an ebook and then Actions -> Deliver to my -> K4PC. Then sync your K4PC. The Manage my Kindle page is sorted by purchase date.

As dwig said, if you sort the My Kindle Content folder by Date Modified it is typically obvious which titles to import to Calibre.

If you select Downloaded Items in K4PC, these are the ebooks that are actually in the My Kindle Content folder and these can be sorted "By Most Recent". This is similar to "Date Modified" when you look in the folder, except that K4PC will move old ebooks that you recently read to the top of the list.
Many thanks!
Jane
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Any idea how to see the books somewhere and import them to Calibre?
If the only reason you are sending books to Kindle for PC is to load them into calibre, you have an easier option to get the books onto your computer since you have a Kindle. You can choose the Transfer via Computer option when you buy a book or for already purchased books you'll find an option to 'Download & transfer via USB' in Manage Your Kindle under Actions. When you use this method to download the book file to your computer the name of the file includes the title, which is a lot less confusing than the file names in the Kindle for PC folder.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote