Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 12-05-2006, 03:19 AM   #16
alfredjsw
alfredjsw began at the beginning.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
Not a competitive price. They need to lower it to below the Sony device.

STK is a closed, proprietary format. Yes, some eBooks are free, but, then, that's all any eBook in a closed, proprietary format is worth.

I have a many, many free eBooks for my iLiad, and they are all in an open format, so when a new device comes out, I can still read them. Unlike the STAReBook.

Which is one of the reasons I don't go there to get my eBooks.

For the STAReBook to become successful, they need to:
1. Drop the price of the device. No higher than the Sony device - and only if they change the device to support open formats. If they only support STK, they need to drop the price more.
2. Open the STK format. Release all specs to the public domain and let anyone create an STK creator.

Unless they do both, this device will just be another wannabee and no amount of hype here (is it just me, or has there been a great deal of hype about this device lately?) will change that.
As I know, STK format is a famous ebook format in China now, but not for the worldwide, eREAD provide a STK maker which can allow user to trasfer text, jpg, pdf..etc. into stk, and even edit the file.
I think they must ptomote the STK format for much more popular, and drop down the cost.
alfredjsw is offline   Reply With Quote