Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #31
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
This is a bit of a nitpick, granted, but is there a reason the 64 bit windows installer defaults to "Program Files (x86)", where 32 bit applications go, instead of "Program Files", where 64 bit applications go?
Issue 284.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #32
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RC3 up on the site. Blog post with info here.
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #33
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
2.0 is a pleasure to use

Once the the HTML file loads and is split into chapters, editing is simple and fast. Kudoes

I know everyone is watching and trying Sigil, so this may be a good place to ask the following question. The seperate TOC causes some interesting effects.

Once editing is completed, I run the ebub through Calibre to generate a LRF and MOBI.

The TOC for the MOBI appears at the end of the book and works fine and can be accessed through the Mobipocket Reader menu.

The LRF looks OK, but I cannot find a TOC in the Calibre viewer.

Lastly, I use Nick Rapallow's MOBI2Imp to convert the MOBI. Again, no TOC can be found in the Epublisher viewer.

Have these TOCs disappeared of is this a limitation of the viewers?

Thanks
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #34
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Have these TOCs disappeared of is this a limitation of the viewers?
If the saved epub file has the correct TOC, then it's out of Sigil's hands. Your issues could be related to the various viewers, Calibre or something else entirely.

I wouldn't know.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #35
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The LRF looks OK, but I cannot find a TOC in the Calibre viewer.
The LRF viewer for Calibre does not show any TOC even if it exists. I'm unsure but believe the Sony Reader program shows the TOC.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #36
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
If the saved epub file has the correct TOC, then it's out of Sigil's hands. Your issues could be related to the various viewers, Calibre or something else entirely.

I wouldn't know.
I understand and meant no criticism of Sigil. However, your watchers have answered the question.

At sometime in the future, is an option for an inline TOC a possibility?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #37
Valloric

Quote:
I understand and meant no criticism of Sigil.
I didn't read any criticism in your statement, honestly.

Quote:
However, your watchers have answered the question.
And that was my point. I didn't have a clue what was causing your issue, but someone else might. And dwanthny did.

Quote:
At sometime in the future, is an option for an inline TOC a possibility?
I don't support this idea. Epub files use a separate NCX file for the TOC, and an inline one is superfluous. I understand that some people want it because when they format-shift the epubs into something else, that something doesn't have/use the NCX.

But some day there will probably be an option to create an inline TOC from the NCX inside Sigil... one has to please one's users, even if one disagrees with the general idea...
Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #38
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
f-prot amd RC3

The Charter Security Suite 9, a version of F-prot, flags RC3 as suspicious.

I believe it has no virus or anything else, but I thought I would report it so others would not be alarmed if they receive a similar warning.

A scan of the installed program says no malware found.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #39
Valloric

RC4 is now uploaded. Blog post with details here.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #40
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
RC4 is now uploaded. Blog post with details here.
One minor problem, that I forgot to mention in the past. After opening Sigil on Mac, Sigil is not the active window. So you have to close other windows first in order to find it.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Valloric
Just in case you haven read this thread over on Astak https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=7

The problem is not Caused by Sigil
But it is made worse by Sigil
Is there any way that Sigil could warn us that repairs are about to /were made?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #42
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Valloric
Just in case you haven read this thread over on Astak https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=7

The problem is not Caused by Sigil
But it is made worse by Sigil
Is there any way that Sigil could warn us that repairs are about to /were made?
I haven't looked at the epub, but from the posts in that thread I'm pretty sure that the XHTML files in the epub are declaring two different encodings (one in the <xml> declaration at the top, another in the <meta> tag), which is not allowed.

Some Reading Systems will decode the file using the first specified encoding, and others will use the second encoding. Of course, only one of these is the correct one, but the RS's can't tell which one.

It's been reported before. The problem is with the XHTML files.

Last edited by Valloric; 05-08-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #43
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
holy cow, valloric-just downloaded the 2.0 beta...it is so quick! Haven't had time to give it a going over..but...its so..quick! Great job!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #44
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Can I ask what level of user you're gearing this program to?

For example, I tend to think "WYSIWYG" means "...for dummies" or "total idiot's guide to..." - the very basic.

And yet simple things (at least, in version 1.9) like font size are not obvious how to change. I'm guessing it's built assuming you have a basic understand of html/xtml/css, rather that a true "for dummies" WYSIWYG application.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Can I ask what level of user you're gearing this program to?

For example, I tend to think "WYSIWYG" means "...for dummies" or "total idiot's guide to..." - the very basic.

And yet simple things (at least, in version 1.9) like font size are not obvious how to change. I'm guessing it's built assuming you have a basic understand of html/xtml/css, rather that a true "for dummies" WYSIWYG application.
I was noticing the same. Valoric, I am not slamming Sigil, It is fantastic as far as it goes, and it looks as there will be a long time, if ever that it gets superseded.

Styles: css is strictly code view, with no dummy tools to:
1) show samples of the effect or help adjusting various sizes and placements.
2) no tools to show info about a selected tag: "Where used" in the document

Strictly Eyeball Mk I stuff

Same'o with more advanced (?) tags.
A simple blockquote needs code view.
A Style picker is missing (wrap a style around selected text).

For now, Sigil appears to be a tool for those that don't mind learning a little on how their EPUB works and getting their hands and minds inside the code.
I have been using the RC4 to split chapters, make a usable TOC and simple heading style changes on poorly laid out books. It now takes about 15-30 minutes to do this per book... A major time saving
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote