Notices

Old 10-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
lordvetinari2
Zealot
lordvetinari2 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi & Galaxy Note
My two cents on reformatting HTML into the Reader

Hello everyone!

I have been testing the RTF support on the Reader and it is no good for serious publishing, as footnotes and images are lost in the Reader. Yes, RTF it's good enough for copy-pastying from the Web, but that's all.

ISTR that someone here said what RTF version the Reader is compatible with, but I can't find that info. Does anyone remember?
Is there any alternative way of inserting either footnotes or images in this RTF standard? I guess not, but...

PDFs (PDFCreator, PDF 1.4) from MS Word loose all linking, as in a Table of Contents. Has anyone found a way to keep such links in a PDF? I guess maybe InDesign and Acrobat Distiller will do the trick, but I better avoid getting that professional.

Right now I am formatting in MS Word (Abiword doesn't respect HTML format from copy-pastying, I am afraid), inserting manually all the footnotes, then print to PDF.
Special formats from CSS styles are no problem, as Word can do a global reformat for a specific style. I don't have Word 2003 with me in this PC, but it's something like "Format>Styles and format" and a pane will open at the right. Then, right click on the style name to reformat, and choose "Select all the instances for this format" (something like that, anyway). For instance, if "c2" style means "Small caps", with all "c2" instances selected, go to "Format>Font" and choose "Small caps".

Depending on how [well] a HTML ebook is formatted, I can spend from 20 minutes (one file, no footnotes, no special styles) to three hours reformatting (three different styles, big images, 100 chapters divided in 100 files, 20 separate footnotes -a nightmare!).

Obviously the printing to PDF method is not perfect, as reflowability is lost. I will have to look into Bookdesigner for reformat and conversion into LRF.
lordvetinari2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
PDFs (PDFCreator, PDF 1.4) from MS Word loose all linking, as in a Table of Contents. Has anyone found a way to keep such links in a PDF? I guess maybe InDesign and Acrobat Distiller will do the trick, but I better avoid getting that professional.
This is correct. At least with Adobe Acrobat (Standard or Pro) you can keep links intact.

Quote:
Depending on how [well] a HTML ebook is formatted, I can spend from 20 minutes (one file, no footnotes, no special styles) to three hours reformatting (three different styles, big images, 100 chapters divided in 100 files, 20 separate footnotes -a nightmare!).
Holy cow! That's cannot be fun
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's the thread I remember about RTF versions...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?threadid=7865

But I don't know if it was based on the Sony RTF version or a guess.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote