Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
trixky
Connoisseur
trixky doesn't littertrixky doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
English books for beginner ?

Hello everybody,

In the french section we have a thread about what books read when english is not our main language. Some title appears on this thread but i would ask to english people directly to have more

As you know, (or not), ebooks are not so develop in France. So I decide to read books in english. After all, i watch TV-Shows in english.

But, every books have not the same level of difficulty because of the vocabulary, etc...

So, do you have any idea of books to read in English to start with ? Any kind of genre can be propose because i think this could be useful for others. But i have a preference for SF books.

Thanks
trixky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Hi Trixky! Maybe a good idea would be to start with Young Adult fiction, as it tends to be written using somewhat less complicated language (much like people learning French like to read Le Petit Prince). Since you like sf, I would like to suggest "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle.

Best of luck! I'll try to think of some other books...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Well its a good idea, since I speak portuguese, i will try it too
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
My own small independent publishing house, Trixky, has a historical fiction/fantasy series running called *The Petronicus Legacy*. Three volumes so far. It is aimed at both a Young Adult and more mature readership but is deliberately written with simple vocabulary and grammar and with a minimalist approach to punctuation. If any of our French MR members would like the ebook versions (PDF only, I'm afraid), please just email me and I'd be happy to send them free of charge. Best wishes. Neil
ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
You might want to take a look in this tread:
Recommendation in order to improve his English level

I would suggest you to get a book (maybe young adult) which interests you and make sure there is a dictionary within reach.

'Have Space Suit Will Travel' by Robert A Heinlein might be something for you. It has a good story, and it's a fairly easy read.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
trixky
Connoisseur
trixky doesn't littertrixky doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Well, i take note about books you propose to me, thanks for your answer.

Does anyone can give me some american/english famous reading blogs you read because i think it's a wonderful sources to find ideas for books
trixky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
My first "real" book in English - after I finished all Simplified Editions that were available in my town library was a detective story by Dick Francis.

His English is very easy to understand, books are fast paced and well written, Mr. Francis does not use complicated words, idioms, he does not "play" with language. He simply tells a good story.

I borrowed book by Dick Francis from a sheer desperation, because there were no more simplified editions, and the last one - The Call of the wild by Jack London proved to be unreadable by a mere beginner.
Only much later I have realized how lucky I was. Had it been, for example, Thomas Harris, I might have abandoned my attempts to improve my English by reading fiction.

Another excellent candidate is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

And now that I think about it, books by Dan Brown are written in an easy-to-comprehend-for-a-beginner English.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
mikelvdb
Enthusiast
mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikelvdb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: cybook gen3, cybook opus, sony prs-350, sony prs-t1
James Rollins
Barbara Michaels
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child: Pendergast serie
Sue Grafton
Michael Scott: Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

look for details at http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk
mikelvdb is offline   Reply With Quote