Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Canyoncarver
Canyoncarver began at the beginning.

Device: none
Formatting on Kindle is making me crazy!

I really like reading on my Kindle, but a couple of things are annoyances. One in particular is really making me crazy.

Seemingly on every book I read I have noticed that when a new paragraph or section starts the first letter of the first word of that section is on a different line then the rest of the word.

It's hard to believe that this is some kind of intentional decision by the publisher, as I have several of these works in traditional print versions and they do not exhibit this kind of formatting.

If it is a setting in the Kindle itself is there some way to override the behavior?
Canyoncarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Are the books you're having problems with all from the Kindle store?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These are probably books that have been converted from ePub to Mobipocket. The isolated letter would have been a "drop capital" in ePub. Mobi doesn't support drop caps, so they end up in splendid isolation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Canyoncarver

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are the books you're having problems with all from the Kindle store?
Yes!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyoncarver View Post
Yes!
Would you mind sharing the title of one of the books so I can download a sample to see what you're seeing?

I'm sure HarryT is correct if you're using an International Kindle and in a country where the content is converted from ePUB. It's just something I haven't yet run across on my U.S. Kindle. (used in the U.S.).
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have seen some Topaz books that look like this. Very ugly.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Canyoncarver

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the title of one of the books so I can download a sample to see what you're seeing?

I'm sure HarryT is correct if you're using an International Kindle and in a country where the content is converted from ePUB. It's just something I haven't yet run across on my U.S. Kindle. (used in the U.S.).
It is a US Kindle purchased a year ago for me as a gift.

A couple of titles that I've seen this in;

The Best of Gene Wolfe.
Let The Right One In

I had seen it in some other titles but upon reloading them they appear to be "fixed". I'm guessing that the new firmware has possibly made a correction for this.

Unfortunately for me I like a lot of old fiction (or international stuff) and it is quite possible that these books have been converted in some way that causes the problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
It is a US Kindle purchased a year ago for me as a gift.

A couple of titles that I've seen this in;

The Best of Gene Wolfe.
Let The Right One In

I had seen it in some other titles but upon reloading them they appear to be "fixed". I'm guessing that the new firmware has possibly made a correction for this.

Unfortunately for me I like a lot of old fiction (or international stuff) and it is quite possible that these books have been converted in some way that causes the problem.
I already had "Let the Right One In" on my Kindle but I hadn't opened it yet and I see what you're talking about right on the first page.

I am going to contact Amazon about this formatting error so that they can correct it. I've done this in the past and they would either offer a refund or contact me when the corrections were made and asked me to re-download. It's been a year since I filed a formatting error report, so I hope the policy is the same.

Edit: I reported it and gave them the following loaction numbers to check out:

66-71
132-41
648-58

It looks like it happens at the top of a section/chapter, so HarryT is correct about the drop caps being the culprit.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-30-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Canyoncarver

Quote:
I already had "Let the Right One In" on my Kindle but I hadn't opened it yet and I see what you're talking about right on the first page.

I am going to contact Amazon about this formatting error so that they can correct it. I've done this in the past and they would either offer a refund or contact me when the corrections were made and asked me to re-download. It's been a year since I filed a formatting error report, so I hope the policy is the same.

Edit: I reported it and gave them the following loaction numbers to check out:

66-71
132-41
648-58

It looks like it happens at the top of a section/chapter, so HarryT is correct about the drop caps being the culprit.
I have followed your lead and reported this as an issue. If I get a credit out of it and enough other people complain perhaps something will eventually be done to correct the problem.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Here's the response from Amazon (the books is still on my K2 because Whispernet is off but I can't re-download it, unless I buy it again):

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us with your concern.

I’m sorry there's a problem with "Let the Right One In" by Lindqvist, John Ajvide. I've issued a full refund in the amount of $9.99. The refund will be applied to the payment method used for the original purchase and should be completed within the next 2 to 3 business days. Issuing a refund also removes all access to the title.

Please note that, I've informed about the locations in Kindle content book which you purchased also requested that this title be corrected as soon as possible. If you are still interested in purchasing a working copy, please visit the Kindle store again at a later time and see if a corrected version is available.

We look forward seeing you again soon.Thanks for using Kindle.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Canyoncarver

Quote:
Here's the response from Amazon (the books is still on my K2 because Whispernet is off but I can't re-download it, unless I buy it again):
Amazon refused to refund me for the titles (got all the way up to the native english speaking tech support people) but thanked me for alerting them to the issue.

Hopefully they will fix these glitches, at least on titles they are selling for $10.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Amazon refused to refund me for the titles (got all the way up to the native english speaking tech support people) but thanked me for alerting them to the issue.

Hopefully they will fix these glitches, at least on titles they are selling for $10.
You called them? I try to avoid that.

I emailed them through the Kindle support link, provided my order number and the sample location numbers. I also did not ask for a refund, they opted to give me the refund. It could also be because I downloaded the title within the past couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindlesupport.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	40470  
Old 11-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
There are two copies of this ebook, B002EPNHD6 and B002KYHZJS. You have B002EPNHD6 with the screwed up dropcaps, but B002KYHZJS (Let the Right One In: A Novel) seems to be ok. See the attached screenshots. The 2nd version has a better cover and a table of contents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_LET1.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	40472   Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_LET2.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	40473   Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_LET3.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	40474   Click image for larger version

Name:	K4PC_LET4.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	40475  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are two copies of this ebook, B002EPNHD6 and B002KYHZJS. You have B002EPNHD6 with the screwed up dropcaps, but B002KYHZJS (Let the Right One In: A Novel) seems to be ok. See the attached screenshots. The 2nd version has a better cover and a table of contents.
Wow, you're right! I do have the B002EPNHD6 version. Well as soon as my refund processes I'll buy the other one.

Thanks!