Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Best format for conversions?

I tried searching through the old posts but it left my head spinning. Sorry if this has been asked before, but as a newbie it's important... I think.

Is there a 'best format' for converting to LRF?
Would I be better off downloading html files, rtf files,? pdf files? etc. files? knowing that I can convert them properly to use on my Sony 505? (I realize that I'm best off downloading LRF files, but often can't find what I want to read in that format already.)

I've already installed Calibre, Sony's software, and Book Designer. Do I need anything else?
Thanks

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have a look at the following thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41835

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'd suggest the following order

ePub (although the 505 and 700 read this natively anyway)
Microsoft lit
HTML (unless generated from MS Word)
Mobipocket
RTF (preferably not from MS Word)
HTML from MS Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I tried searching through the old posts but it left my head spinning. Sorry if this has been asked before, but as a newbie it's important... I think.

Is there a 'best format' for converting to LRF?
Would I be better off downloading html files, rtf files,? pdf files? etc. files? knowing that I can convert them properly to use on my Sony 505? (I realize that I'm best off downloading LRF files, but often can't find what I want to read in that format already.)

I've already installed Calibre, Sony's software, and Book Designer. Do I need anything else?
Thanks

Stitchawl
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a look at the following thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41835
Thanks, JS.
That thread, if I read it correctly, is what led me to ask the question in the first place! I'm so confused!!!!!!
But I see that your preference is HTML though, and I've been seeing a lot of others (who don't seem to be involved in writing code) with the same views. It looks as if HTML and LIT are the top contenders for accurate conversion. Maybe. If I read it all correctly. I think.
(I think I want to go back to cuneiform written on clay tablets...)
Thankfully I have a few hundred books already in LRF format to get me started while I try to catch up with the technology. My skill with code is still at the 'Captain Midnight's Secrete Decoder Ring' stage.

What about my software choices? I have already installed Calibre, Sony's software, and Book Designer. Would you say that's sufficient or do I need something other?

Stitchawl
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd suggest the following order

ePub (although the 505 and 700 read this natively anyway)
Microsoft lit
HTML (unless generated from MS Word)
Mobipocket
RTF (preferably not from MS Word)
HTML from MS Word
Thanks! What software do you use to convert the LIT format into LRF?

You make several references to MS Word. Why is MS Word good for the HTML but not for the RTF? Does it just garble certain parts of the conversions?

Stitchawl
Advert