Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Clemente
Clemente began at the beginning.

Device: SONY RPS-500
.fb2 format

Does anybody know if Sony PRS-500 supports format called .fb2?
I need to download a couple of Russian books and this format is the most common it Russian electronic libraries.
Clemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemente View Post
Does anybody know if Sony PRS-500 supports format called .fb2?
I need to download a couple of Russian books and this format is the most common it Russian electronic libraries.
None of the Sony Readers support .fb2 format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Calibre can convert FB2 to LRF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Clemente
Clemente began at the beginning.

Device: SONY RPS-500
Thank you very much for this information.
I can buy this reader for a really good price, but the whole point was to be able to upload Russian books for my mom without any conversion. It’s very unfortunate that there is an issue with this format…
Clemente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
There is no reason to stick to this format, as not only very comfortable converters exist, but most (russian) lib sites actually provide books also in lrf format.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Of course any PocketBook device supports fb2
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe the Jinke devices (BeBook, Astak EZReader, Hanlin V3, etc) also do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe the Jinke devices (BeBook, Astak EZReader, Hanlin V3, etc) also do.
Unfortunately not very well atm. .FB2 works well if converted from a .txt. The LBook firmware is the best when it comes to .FB2 support (runs a later parser version).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
It's perhaps not so much the format that may be a problem - Calibre will convert it for you - but your reader also needs support for Cyrillic fonts. I'm not sure the Sony Readers have that.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
AlexGrant
Electronic R&D Engineer
AlexGrant began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO 5"
Astak5" Pro and 6" Mentor support all formats valuable for a russian living in US: FB2, doc,txt, html, pdf, and plays mp3 while you are reading! But I will wait until 9" Astak will come out: my eyes are weak for 5-6".
AlexGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
but your reader also needs support for Cyrillic fonts. I'm not sure the Sony Readers have that.
There are Russification packages for reflashing PRS-500.
I have done it to my old reader.
I consider myself power user and even for me it was highly non-trivial to reflash the reader. I did it, but a couple of times I thought I have bricked my device. I had to download various packages and do some commandline magic with utility written in python to set my device into the state needed for a second reflash attempt.

You can still use non-russified, original firmware Sony reader to read books in Azbuka. You just need to convert the books into pdf. That should be easy, if you use Calibre and perhaps OpenOffice.org Writer.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote