Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
mojumoka
mojumoka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Calibre (or Calibre Companion) For Fetching News Directly Onto Android Tablets?

Nobody here may be aware of this fact but a lot of Android tablets can act as USB hosts. Go on E-Bay, search for "USB OTG", and you will see a plethora of adapter cables that are available for sale for as little as $1 each.

With that in mind, how might one fetch news articles onto an android tablet and then load these as epub documents onto an e-ink reader such as the Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch?

Calibre does this on a PC or a Mac but doesn't run on Android.

My understanding is that Calibre Companion can only be useful by interacting with a PC or Mac running Calibre. Or can it do more?
mojumoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Well you can do what this guy did and run calibre on your nook touch directly to download news etc
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1344060
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
mojumoka
mojumoka began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thanks. I'll have to look further into this.

While this article that you've linked to makes no mention of rooting, the links found there to yet other articles state that you'll need to root any android device that you'll want to use.

I haven't gotten my Nook Simple Touch yet but I do have a Samsung Tab 2 that I could try doing some of this.
mojumoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android usb host